Disabling Speed Stepping

Core Performance Boost is one of the C's I was talking about. Straight from an AM3+ Biostar FAQ Page.

If user wish to let CPU to run with minimum power, enable Core Performance Boost, K8 Cool&Quiet control, and C1E Support in CPU functions.

Either way, that won't or shouldn't have any affect on what is going on here. If it does, you have a bad chip or board and need to start RMA.

As to the PSU, having a bottom mounted PSU and leaving the rig on the carpet is a no no. It'll burn up any PSU facing the proper way. Thing is though, Kingwin units are all known of cap whine which is a good (and #2) indicator of **** PSU. I wouldn't run a 125w CPU on it no matter if it was Intel or AMD. If your temps are now fine, the things I would look at in order:

Set all bios settings manually while using 2 sticks of RAM. That includes CPU stock voltage, CPU clock, RAM speed hard set to 1600, all RAM timings, RAM voltage, NB/Core voltage (IMC), power state features disabled, all fan headers set to max speed, take out any unnecessary things you don't need in your case.

Motherboard bios flashed and try default then manual settings.

Check with a multimeter (if possible) 12v load on the PSU. Could be difficult if you've never done it before. After the previous, assume it's PSU.

Try a borrowed or spare PSU to see if problem persists.

Weird I started it again, and then I was able to open anything except core temp. I have tons of errors though; is it possible to copy all their information and paste it on this website?

Core Performance Boost is one of the C's I was talking about. Straight from an AM3+ Biostar FAQ Page.

Either way, that won't or shouldn't have any affect on what is going on here. If it does, you have a bad chip or board and need to start RMA.

As to the PSU, having a bottom mounted PSU and leaving the rig on the carpet is a no no. It'll burn up any PSU facing the proper way. Thing is though, Kingwin units are all known of cap whine which is a good (and #2) indicator of **** PSU. I wouldn't run a 125w CPU on it no matter if it was Intel or AMD. If your temps are now fine, the things I would look at in order:

Set all bios settings manually while using 2 sticks of RAM. That includes CPU stock voltage, CPU clock, RAM speed hard set to 1600, all RAM timings, RAM voltage, NB/Core voltage (IMC), power state features disabled, all fan headers set to max speed, take out any unnecessary things you don't need in your case.

Motherboard bios flashed and try default then manual settings.

Check with a multimeter (if possible) 12v load on the PSU. Could be difficult if you've never done it before. After the previous, assume it's PSU.

Try a borrowed or spare PSU to see if problem persists.

I've already RMA'd the board, Gigabyte said they tested it themselves and it didn't see to be the issue. With the CPU AMD gave me just a brand new one :/ I'm completely confused ill have to check it though. My Dad said he would look at it tomorrow although my computer is freezing even worse with it off. But I reread your post from the past saying that the thing I just disabled allows the CPU to throttle itself, so it could save power. I think its the PSU, come to think of it I had Kingwin and Soly Tech two brands i've never heard of before. :confused:

They are low end brands, exceptionally low quality. This is half the reason why I added to my article a PSU section and why not to buy low end PSUs.

Yes with them on it throttles the CPU to avoid damage under low power scenarios or if temps become too high. That would cause your slow down, and with them off it just causes errors due to the CPU not being stable.

Edit: Just to be clear, it acts like your CPU doesn't have enough voltage for stability. I don't want to tell you to increase voltage just in case it might be your PSU undervolting the chip. That could cause more problems.

Last edited:
Jesus, I wish I could just add you on skype and message you :( It would be so much better. BUT core temp started, and I'm about to be stupid and try a Prime95 test again, and see if my temps go up to around 65 then ill stop again :S

When you prime how hot does your PSU get to the touch in the back? How do you have all that setup currently?

I don't use Microsoft SPYpe.

Antec make decent PSUs. As long as it isn't a BasiQ and above 430w.

It doesn't get hot at all, it the CPU seems to shut off at the same temp though, I think the PSU has the issue keeping the power at a constant amount of power. BUT now whenever I open coretemp I have to reinstall it and then open it. THAT DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE!

Back
Top Bottom