Wanting to purchase gaming pc

TroySpoke

Beta member
Hi,

I have some games( Alan wake. The secret world, etc) that won't run on my current Sony vaio. I am wanting to upgrade to a strong gaming pc that will run those games and more. I have never built a pc but I'm sure with some tutorials I could manage. Or I wouldn't mind just buying one already put together. Price isn't a major issue, but I'd like to keep it around $1500. I Don't have to have the most expensive of every part, I just want it to do what I need it for. I really want one that I will be able to upgrade in the future when necessary. I think that I will just be using my 3d tv via hdmi as a monitor for it the majority of the time. I'm not sure if making the pc 3d compatible is a lot more expensive? I'd like it to be, but if have to compromise in another area as far performance goes, than I can do without.

If you need any more info from me, I'm more than happy to answer. Just looking for some help purchasing a gaming pc.

Thanks,
Troy

A newer Intel platform is about to be released which will have an "in the future" upgrade path for a newer CPU. Launch date is in June, so if you want to wait you can, or I can make you a build with an Ivy Bridge CPU which will perform just dandy for what you want so your call.

If you want to build now, got you covered.
This will max almost any game on the market, and you have plenty of room to grow.
If you wish to reuse parts like DVDRW or HDD from your current Sony PC (if it's a desktop) then you can to save cash. Although you don't have to, this chip allows for overclocking if you wish to learn the art of "free power" later on lol.

CPU:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - Newegg.com

GPU:
EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

PSU:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - Newegg.com

Case:
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

SSD+HDD:
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK Solid State Drive - Newegg.com
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Optical:
ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

$1182

Thanks again for the quick response!

I probably won't end up purchasing until next month. So, I can wait for the intel platform that is going to be released. Could you tell me about the differences between that and the set up that mentioned above?

My knowledge is extremely limited on a lot of this. I may add a blu ray burner/reader instead of the other optical drive.

All the help is appreciated!

Do you have a need for the BD burner? Watch or burn BD movies/media on your PC?

Intel's next platform release is code named "Haswell" (current is Ivy Bridge) and overall only a 10% increase in performance compared to the current chips. For example, the 4670k vs the 3570k I have linked. The biggest difference is in power consumption and heat output. 3570k is 77w which is still way lower than most, and even though the upcoming chips have a similar TDP they can step down and shut off other parts to consume 10-20, and sometimes less than 10w during normal or idle usage. If this is something for you, you can wait. If not, then the 3570k will offer similar performance for the now rather than later.

Just take note, that it would be pointless to save the rig that I have all linked up because a lot of stuff is being released right now which are changing prices constantly. DDR3 prices are slowly rising and the parts listed could go out of stock, and rise or lower in price. You'll have to make a new thread when you're ready to buy if you are waiting until next month.

Back
Top Bottom