Rampage III question

roweder

In Runtime
I've just learned about UEFI boot and it's benefits and I just set up my laptop with UEFI boot and windows 8, and I was thinking about also setting up my PC with UEFI boot and windows 7 (because I paid $40 for my laptops copy of windows 8 and I'm not paying more for my desktop lol).

So my question is, is the ASUS Rampage extreme III compatible with UEFI boot? I would bet it is, and if it is not, it won't pick up on the removable media I would boot it to in order to install windows with UEFI, right? I didn't see UEFI options in my BIOS settings, but it also isn't there on my ASUS laptop, and when I searched about that, I found out that the setting is just hidden.

I have the latest BIOS for my Rampage, version 1502

lol).

So my question is, is the ASUS Rampage extreme III compatible with UEFI boot? I would bet it is, and if it is not, it won't pick up on the removable media I would boot it to in order to install windows with UEFI, right?
I have the latest BIOS for my Rampage, version 1502

Sadly it is not ufei compatible or a ufei based bios.
However for the removal media problem, which type of flash drive are you using ?
Which media ISO are you using ?
Try using this tool for official microsoft windows 7/8 iso files.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msus/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool/
I highly recommend you use sandisk cruizer flash drive or kingston flash drive for boot device drives.
Make sure the flash drive will show up in your bios and select it for first boot followed by cd-rom and hdd as third. :)

Sadly it is not ufei compatible or a ufei based bios.
However for the removal media problem, which type of flash drive are you using ?
Which media ISO are you using ?
Try using this tool for official microsoft windows 7/8 iso files.
Microsoft US Online Store
I highly recommend you use sandisk cruizer flash drive or kingston flash drive for boot device drives.
Make sure the flash drive will show up in your bios and select it for first boot followed by cd-rom and hdd as third. :)

Ok thanks,

When I said it wouldn't boot from the flash drive, what I meant was that if I had created a UEFI flash drive, the computer would only boot from it and install UEFI based windows if the motherboard was UEFI compatible, because otherwise it wouldn't recognize it. Is that correct?

Ok thanks,

When I said it wouldn't boot from the flash drive, what I meant was that if I had created a UEFI flash drive, the computer would only boot from it and install UEFI based windows if the motherboard was UEFI compatible, because otherwise it wouldn't recognize it. Is that correct?

Well I'm not certain on your question with UEFI formatted flash drives but try this:
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

Give that guide a run through and see if it works, if it does not work try windows 7 usb tool as it is better for making usb windows bootable drives.
There are some flash drives that won't boot, whatever your using run a search and make sure its good for booting and installing hard drives.

The motherboard itself is a problem because it doesn't directly boot from a flash drive.
Good features but craptistic support from asus even on one of their prized mobos. :|
Let us know what happens soon.

well I looked it up in a few places and each of them said that the Rampage III Extreme does not support UEFI boot, so I figured I'd just leave it with legacy, and I don't particularly wish to go through a reinstall right now, I've got a ton of stuff on this computer.

But for my laptop (and windows 8) I used that exact page you posted a link to. And my flash drive wouldn't work in that case (it was too big or something, rufus failed each time), so I used a 16gb SD card plugged into a SD card reader, and it worked which was very surprising.

And my question on the flash drives, what I was trying to ask was this: can a motherboard that is non-uefi-based boot from a uefi-based media?

But for my laptop (and windows 8) I used that exact page you posted a link to. And my flash drive wouldn't work in that case (it was too big or something, rufus failed each time), so I used a 16gb SD card plugged into a SD card reader, and it worked which was very surprising.

And my question on the flash drives, what I was trying to ask was this: can a motherboard that is non-uefi-based boot from a uefi-based media?

Yes non-uefi it will boot off the flash drive no probs.
Just make sure you format the flash dive with fat32 use windows to format it and use full formatting.
Beware though there are some motherboards that may not boot off the flash drive.
if you are worried about it, do some research on the board and you'll find the answer.

Back
Top Bottom