WinXP DHCP server PC with USB WiFi (internet) and WiFi router (switch mode)

The Borg

Baseband Member
Ahoy,

I've bought the small house next door to use as an office (and, yeah, partially as a mancave :p), and now I'm trying to connect it to my home network, exclusively for internet access.

I've got a thin-client PC ("server") running Windows XP. High-powered USB WiFi adapter would be connected to it and serve as access to the internet.

I also want to connect PC's ethernet port to a WiFi Router running in switch mode, thus providing internet access (and file sharing) to PCs connected to router [wired: my main PC (Win7), arduino logger; wireless: tablet (Android), mobile phone (Android)].

Here's the rub:
my router-modem is somewhat unstable, with 1-2-3 daily "hiccups" that require manual router reset.
[Internet provider is refusing to replace it; I can't leave 'cause I'm still contractually bound to them. And, to top it off, they have limited my access to router-modem settings in their latest firmware — calling them *******s would be an epic understatement.]

Regardless of those hiccups, I need the server to continue serving files to other PCs on the network at all times, internet or no internet access. Thus thin-client PC should function as a DHCP server, providing IP addresses to router-connected devices AND internet access via USB WiFi Adapter.

(Additional secondary roles I'd like to add to the server down the road — listed for the sake of completeness: file server via USB external HDD, web server for a pivate app, print server).

Now, to my knowledge, Windows XP has no built-in DHCP server, so I've found a utility that should provide that function:
DHCP Server for Windows

⁂ ⁂ ⁂

Regarding the security — I guess I'd still need to provide some form of protection to the server PC (XP being ridiculously unsecure), but — if possible — I don't want the server PC to filter anything sent or received to it's ethernet port, just stop XP from going bonkers.

Well, there it is. Please assist, if able. Thanks.

P.S. I've tried to tackle this on my own, but thing just wouldn't function, after a whole day of hair-pulling... networking has never been my forte. [Note: Server PC has been freshly reinstall, so that my previous tinkerings would not interfere.]

P.P.S. Sorry for the long-windedness.

Attachments

• Diagram.PNG
    Diagram.PNG
    59.9 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom