New security rig components. Should I change anything before starting the build?

Eh, I toss everything together too. I just take my time though.

Ok, got everything together and it appears to work well.

But then I got a real shock. Went to Blue Iris's forum, and some of the main moderators are saying I need an 8-core [as in FX 8150, 8350, etc.] if I expect to run 8 foscams at high resolution].

Several posters are saying their Intel 3570k's are maxing out when they run several cameras.

I am bummed. I thought for sure this Intel G2020 would get the job done.

Presently, I am considering my different options...

Here are some options I am considering:

1. Keep the same system, and merely upgrade to an Intel 3570k or an Intel 3770k.
2. Build an entirely new build using the AMD FX 8350
3. Wait until Haswell hits the market and perhaps there will be a better option.
4. Keep the present build [with the Intel G2020], experiment with it, and maybe it will get the job done [I added a pic of this rig I just finished].

Ok PPM [and everyone else here], what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Looking for some good advice again...

It's me, bummed out Soar

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 3
Really depends on how you end up setting up the camera streams and blue iris software. Your best bet now is probably to just install and test - see how it goes. Play around with different res/framerates and recording options for your cams.
If it can't handle it, you'll have to buy new parts anyway. If it handles fine, then no extra work needed.

That's what I was saying before, just test it out since you already have the parts. I mean I can't understand why it would take so much processing power for that little amount of cameras. I mean I know it's only remotely similar but I can run several 720p streams and it takes less than 25% of my older i5. That being said, 4 to 6 720p streams should run good on a fast dual core.

Edit: Running 4 1080p streams doesn't even cap 50% for me.

Last edited:
Really depends on how you end up setting up the camera streams and blue iris software. Your best bet now is probably to just install and test - see how it goes. Play around with different res/framerates and recording options for your cams.
If it can't handle it, you'll have to buy new parts anyway. If it handles fine, then no extra work needed.

Good advice S0ULphIRE! Ok, I will give it a try.

So far, I am very happy with the way this new rig is performing:

Idles at 33 watts [I was hoping for 18-20 watts, but maybe it is the HDD]?
Temps on the cores are 23 at idle
System is whisper quiet

I do have one more concern...

Hardware Monitor is showing a temperature of 56c located at the CPUTIN...

Seems kind of hot compared to everything else...

Is this the Northbridge, Southbridge, or something else on my MB?

I circled a heatsink on the MB. What is that?

I haven't hit it with an infra red temp monitor yet, but maybe that is the problem?

Soar

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
That's what I was saying before, just test it out since you already have the parts. I mean I can't understand why it would take so much processing power for that little amount of cameras. I mean I know it's only remotely similar but I can run several 720p streams and it takes less than 25% of my older i5. That being said, 4 to 6 720p streams should run good on a fast dual core.

Edit: Running 4 1080p streams doesn't even cap 50% for me.

PPM,

Well, I didn't already have the parts...I went out of my way to purchase these parts thinking they would work well. My bad, I should have read through many Blue Iris threads before even remotely thinking of building this security rig.

My concern with using a lower end processor is that I will be forced to use a lower resolution and then will not be able to clearly identify any perp that would attempt to trespass and/or steal stuff.

Darn! If I had know this in advance, I simply would have slapped together the new AMD FX 8350/Gigabyte GA-990XFA-UD3 that's been sitting on the shelf. I also have a nice new Corsair 500r white sitting around doing nothing.

So much for building a low powered mini-itx security rig. I have a feeling it is not gonna work...

Soar

PPM,

Well, I didn't already have the parts...I went out of my way to purchase these parts thinking they would work well. My bad, I should have read through many Blue Iris threads before even remotely thinking of building this security rig.

My concern with using a lower end processor is that I will be forced to use a lower resolution and then will not be able to clearly identify any perp that would attempt to trespass and/or steal stuff.

Darn! If I had know this in advance, I simply would have slapped together the new AMD FX 8350/Gigabyte GA-990XFA-UD3 that's been sitting on the shelf. I also have a nice new Corsair 500r white sitting around doing nothing.

So much for building a low powered mini-itx security rig. I have a feeling it is not gonna work...

Soar
Well for the record, I did tell you to put together what you had now to see how it would work ;) In my experience, I don't see the point in buying extra stuff unless you have to.

Like we said though, just try it. You did say 2-4 cams at the beginning, and now we are at 8. Since you have the rig assembled it won't hurt to just toss the program on with 4 cams and see if they work well with that CPU. I bet they do.

Although very comical due to it being very gimmicky, I thought this was funny after this thread.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184539

To answer your other question, the red circle is the PCH (southbridge) and yes they typically run slightly warm like that. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Last edited:
Well for the record, I did tell you to put together what you had now to see how it would work ;) In my experience, I don't see the point in buying extra stuff unless you have to.

Like we said though, just try it. You did say 2-4 cams at the beginning, and now we are at 8. Since you have the rig assembled it won't hurt to just toss the program on with 4 cams and see if they work well with that CPU. I bet they do.

Although very comical due to it being very gimmicky, I thought this was funny after this thread.

Seagate Delivers Industry's First Purpose-Built 4TB Video HDD - techPowerUp! Forums

To answer your other question, the red circle is the PCH (southbridge) and yes they typically run slightly warm like that. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Yes, you are the 4th person who said try this rig because it may work. So I will do so.

Ok, couple of more questions:

1. How many watts do HDD's suck? And, do SSD's suck more or less power?
2. How hard is it to set up a RAID with two identical Intel 160 SSD's?
3. If I do go with HDD's, which brand do you recommend?

BTW, my rig sucks 33 watts at idle...that seems a little high.

Thank you,

Soar

Make sure those settings are right in the bios (C States, Speedstep, ect) and Windows is on power saving mode. Should decrease your usage a bit more. My current setup idle takes 155w =(

SSDs use considerately less power than HDDs. HDDs use between 5 and 10w give or take while spin up should be somewhere in the 20s, and SSDs full load usually less than 2w and idle less than a watt.

Not hard if you follow the directions.
Seagate Barracuda XT for sure. Their 4TB drives are actually really fast, especially in RAID. (sustain speeds, not latency like SSD).

Make sure those settings are right in the bios (C States, Speedstep, ect) and Windows is on power saving mode. Should decrease your usage a bit more. My current setup idle takes 155w =(

SSDs use considerately less power than HDDs. HDDs use between 5 and 10w give or take while spin up should be somewhere in the 20s, and SSDs full load usually less than 2w and idle less than a watt.

Not hard if you follow the directions.
Seagate Barracuda XT for sure. Their 4TB drives are actually really fast, especially in RAID. (sustain speeds, not latency like SSD).

Ok, I must admit, I have no clue how to adjust the bios (C States, Speedstep, ect) settings.

Can you give me some pointers please?

Also, I will play around and see if I can get away with two Intel 160GB's SSD's and stay away from the HDD's.

Thanks,

Soar

Ok, I must admit, I have no clue how to adjust the bios (C States, Speedstep, ect) settings.

Can you give me some pointers please?

Also, I will play around and see if I can get away with two Intel 160GB's SSD's and stay away from the HDD's.

Thanks,

Soar
Just go into the bios and search around until you find the CPU options. Speedstep and C state packages are usually on the same page.

Back
Top Bottom