New build will not post. Help please!

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi guys!

Ok, I put together a brand new system last night, and it would not post. Seems to be a loop [it fans and all start up, then everything shuts down in 15 seconds, then the system starts again all on its own].

Any thoughts?

Here's the components, all of em' new:

Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced - Mini-ITX Computer Case
Intel G2020 Ivy Bridge
ASRock DDR3 1333 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboards (B75M-ITX)
Corsair Vengeance RAM 1600 8GB
2-Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM case fans
Modified ARCTIC COOLING A7P-75000023 92mm CPU Cooler [will shave/mill 5/8" off the top]
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 400W Modular Power Supply
Intel 160GB SSD
Seagate 4TB HDD

Please help me if you can.

Thanks,

Soar

Have you tried using 1333 RAM instead of 1600? Have you checked it with a compatible CPU? I had that same trouble a few months back and my CPU was DOA.

Have you tried using 1333 RAM instead of 1600? Have you checked it with a compatible CPU? I had that same trouble a few months back and my CPU was DOA.

Xerolen,

Wow, a CPU DOA? That sounds like a very, very rare occurrence! I suppose I should count my blessings...never had a DOA CPU in all the years of working on computers...

I tried 3 different types of RAM. I thought nearly all RAM is compatible with Intel chips...

I finally unplugged nearly everything [all fans, all usb (2 and 3) on the MB], all HDD's, and all SSD's. Then I noticed one stick of RAM was not properly seated [I felt like a total moron].

I also changed the 4 prong plug from PSU to MB.

Finally, got the coveted POST. I suspect it was the poorly seated RAM, but just to be sure, I will plug in one item at a time, restart, and see what happens.

Moral of the story: Stop attempting to build a new rig all in one evening [I stayed up until nearly 4am and felt totally toasted].

Here is some shockingly good news [well, at least for me it is]!

I played with the CPU fan in the BIOS. With CPU Fan at full speed, system idles at 23c. Turned off the fan completely and got the shock of my life...28c after 10 minutes. This is one cool running rig!

Kudo's to Intel!

I will post if I found something besides the poorly seated RAM.

Soar

Last edited:
Well hopefully it was only your Poorly seated RAM. It happens to all of us. Hope your new rig runs well. Also...That's rather cool for an intel CPU. Usually they run rather hot. If you need any more help let us know. Good Luck.

Well hopefully it was only your Poorly seated RAM. It happens to all of us. Hope your new rig runs well. Also...That's rather cool for an intel CPU. Usually they run rather hot. If you need any more help let us know. Good Luck.

Ok, thank you!

Soar

Back
Top Bottom