DVI monitor issues

Do you know if the monitor works on different comptuers?

I just found out from my buddy that he had a windows update that made it start doing weird stuff for him as well. I think the driver is bad or maybe even the dvi cord. I just don't know how to go about manually re installing the driver (Windows 7 is telling me its current) and princeton display's website is horrid I do not see a support area containing drivers.

I just found out from my buddy that he had a windows update that made it start doing weird stuff for him as well. I think the driver is bad or maybe even the dvi cord. I just don't know how to go about manually re installing the driver (Windows 7 is telling me its current) and princeton display's website is horrid I do not see a support area containing drivers.

Yes but as I said before, it could be a corrupt driver. So if it is really from an update which it could well be I suggest doing a restore. A restore point is usually created when Windows is about to do an update (unless it is turned off).

Go into system restore, go back to before it started having problems. This doesn't mean you can't update it, it may have just been a dodge install.

Instructions: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11238/using-system-restore-to-recover-your-windows-7-computer/

Also after it goes black can you try select the digital option on your monitor. It may be switching to analog which is causing it to go black since their isn't actually any analog input. You can use this to try to make sure that the video BIOS and the display driver both make the same choice between analog and digital display modes.

From what I have read Princeston is no longer in business and are known to have bad support/service and monitors.

Can you also please tell me the model of your graphics card that is connected to the princeston?

Last edited:
I can't do a system restore my buddy had this monitor and it had problems on his computer. Thats why I am thinking it is actually a bad cord but before I buy one would like to just update the driver manually and see if it does fix it. The model number for the Princeton display is VL2018W and my graphics card is:

XFX HD-677X-ZNLC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Also I dunno if this screenshot helps but ill put it on here

2v3rkox.jpg

I am assuming you have windows 7 64 bit? if so and you don't have catalyst download this AMD Catalyst catalyst software if you don't have it, it will automatically update the driver for your graphics card. You are showing me a generic display driver.
This download includes Display Driver ver. 12.104
OpenCL(tm) Driver ver. 10.0.1124.2

Make sure it is 64 bit not 32 before installing. Ignore that it says AMD as appose to Ati.

I am assuming you have windows 7 64 bit? if so and you don't have catalyst download this AMD Catalyst catalyst software if you don't have it, it will automatically update the driver for your graphics card. You are showing me a generic display driver.
This download includes Display Driver ver. 12.104
OpenCL(tm) Driver ver. 10.0.1124.2

Make sure it is 64 bit not 32 before installing. Ignore that it says AMD as appose to Ati.

I have done it and it still says a generic monitor is installed even after making sure it included the driver with the install and restarting :/

I have done it and it still says a generic monitor is installed even after making sure it included the driver with the install and restarting :/

Sorry I haven't explained myself well enough. The display driver is different to the GPU driver. I wanted you to update the graphics driver which you have done. Open up Catalyst and it will tell you what driver you have for the GPU now.

I am assuming you are still having problems after installing the latest graphics driver?

Sorry I haven't explained myself well enough. The display driver is different to the GPU driver. I wanted you to update the graphics driver which you have done. Open up Catalyst and it will tell you what driver you have for the GPU now.

I am assuming you are still having problems after installing the latest graphics driver?

anknk2.png

this is what it shows

I am running out of ideas other than just saying "it is the monitor, get a new one" but try this:

Shut down your pc, make sure your princeton isn't plugged in, plug in your other monitor/tv into the hdmi. Boot up windows, log in, wait for everything to load etc then plug in your second monitor into the dvi port.

Then follow these instructions Move windows between multiple monitors . This is under the assumption that windows 7 has detected the monitor yet hasn't decided to extend or duplicate the display.

Ya weve tried this as well I am beginning to think it is indeed the monitor or the cord. I ordered a cheap replacement dvi cord off amazon it will get here monday and I will post whether or not that works for it.

Back
Top Bottom