NTFS or FAT32? also have win xp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freenet

Baseband Member
I about to format a hard drive i just put in my comp. whats the diff between ntfs and fat32? is one better than the other?

Also i want to remove my old HDD with win xp on it but dont have a win xp disk to reload on the new one. can i just copy the windows files from the old on to the new and make that work?

Thanks
Joe M.

FAT32 is faster and NTFS is safer and offers more features (compression etc). I'd choose NTFS. Don't use FAT32 on large HD's.

You can use a program like partition magic to copy the enttire windows partition to the new drive. Or use an imaging program to create an image of ur windows partition and restore it to the new drive. (DriveImage, V2i or Norton Ghost)

You can do a google for freeware programs for coping ir imaging your windows partition.

freenet said:
I about to format a hard drive i just put in my comp. whats the diff between ntfs and fat32? is one better than the other?

Also i want to remove my old HDD with win xp on it but dont have a win xp disk to reload on the new one. can i just copy the windows files from the old on to the new and make that work?

Thanks
Joe M.

I have seen no diff.

nope, you will have to ghost it

FAT32 faster on smaller volumes and clusters, NTFS faster on larger volumes and cluster sizes also more features (generally this makes it slower except on larger sized drives). Since most drives out there are fairly large, the argument on FAT32 being faster is becoming more obsolete.

I would suggest that you use NTFS. It's what I've always used and what I always will use (that is, until i make the switch to linux ;) [much anticipated]).

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom