New security rig components. Should I change anything before starting the build?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi again everyone!

Building a rig that will be used for one purpose only: security [as in 4-8 Foscam's, running continuously]. Must have the juice to:

Run 4-8 Foscam's 24/7
Stream to a personal website
Call/text my phone when motion detection triggered
Run Blue Iris

I would like this rig to be able to perform all of the above functions, AND, sip the energy, not guzzle the wattage...

Ok, here's the list of components:

Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced - Mini-ITX Computer Case
Intel G2020 Ivy Bridge
ASRock DDR3 1333 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboards (B75M-ITX)
Corsair Vengeance RAM 1600 8GB
2-Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM case fans
Modified ARCTIC COOLING A7P-75000023 92mm CPU Cooler [will shave/mill 5/8" off the top]
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 400W Modular Power Supply
Intel 160GB SSD
Seagate 4TB HDD

Toying with the option of modifying the case and installing a Zalman LQ 315 to cool the CPU, install the radiator in the hard drive bay, then move my ssd and hdd to the DVD ROM slot, use an external DVD Read/write to install all my software.

Ok, I am open to all ideas, suggestions, corrections, rants, etc.

Thank you,

Soar

Last edited:
Looks good to me. THough, if you're buying this you could probably shave a few bucks off on the RAM and make it slower.

Thanks...I have tons of RAM [stocked up when places were dumping them at $40-$60 per 16GB].

I think I have some 1333 too. Are you saying I can only use 1333?

Soar

No I was just saying that if you were purchasing the RAM you could save a few bucks by getting 1333 or 1066. Since you're using RAM you already have then doesn't matter.

No I was just saying that if you were purchasing the RAM you could save a few bucks by getting 1333 or 1066. Since you're using RAM you already have then doesn't matter.

Ok, thanks again.

Three more questions come to my mind:

1. How powerful are the present graphics on this set up?
2. Would installing a 6450 improve the graphics?
3. How much more juice would a 6450 pull?

Thanks,

Soar

1. Not very powerful.
2. Not really.
3. 27w full load. 9w idle.

Unless the software has built in GPGPU offload then the GPU won't be used at all for the setup. Something you'll have to find out as I have no idea on.

1. Not very powerful.
2. Not really.
3. 27w full load. 9w idle.

Unless the software has built in GPGPU offload then the GPU won't be used at all for the setup. Something you'll have to find out as I have no idea on.

Ok, thanks again.

Well, now I have bad news...

Threw everything together and cannot get it to post. First time for me.

Normally, I will start with on the the CPU, CPU cooler, MB, PSU, and RAM...just to be certain I receive the post...then, throw everything together.

With this rig, I was so certain everything would work...darn.

System starts up, then, after about 15 seconds, it shuts off, then tries to restart itself again...but no post.

Any ideas?

Soar

Is this with it out of the case, only one RAM stick, no GPU or drives?

No, I was in way too much of a hurry and did not take my time. In fact, I stayed up until 4 am working on it and I know better.

Usually I only connect the CPU, CPU cooler, one stick of ram, PSU 24 pin plug, and the 4/8 pin power plug. So my bad, I fully admit it. I was so confident this rig would fire right up.

Instead, I threw literally everything in it.

Removed everything this morning. Also, plugged in the other 4 prong mb power plug.

Now it posts.

Also noticed one stick of RAM was not fully seated.

Now I intend to plug in one item at a time to see if there is anything else messed up!

Soar

Back
Top Bottom