Laptop Network Connection Question

Oakland Man

Beta member
I have a new laptop that has a wireless network connection built in. Can I also hard connect my laptop to my wireless modem without causing any network connection confusion in the pc? Or do I have to disable the wireless receiver before hard connecting the pc to the modem (via ethernet card)? If the two paths to the Net are enabled simultaneously, how does the software resolve the conflict? Does a connection via the ethernet automatically disable the wireless receiver internal to the pc? I am reluctant to try this without your input. Thanks for your help.

You'll be okay with the two simultaneous connections. You won't get any benefit by using both connections at once, but it won't cause any issues. There won't be any conflict because they are two separate connections - each one will have its own ip address, MAC address, etc.

Using one connection will not automatically disable the other but, like I said, it won't matter.

Thanks DistraughtSysop. If I have two simultaneous connections to the Net via two IP addresses, how do I choose to use just one of the two networks, which may be faster than the other? Similarly, how does the pc determine which network connection to use each time it accesses the Net?

Thanks DistraughtSysop. If I have two simultaneous connections to the Net via two IP addresses, how do I choose to use just one of the two networks, which may be faster than the other? Similarly, how does the pc determine which network connection to use each time it accesses the Net?

You have to change the priority of the network adapter. There will be an adapter for your wireless and an adapter for your wired LAN. Personally, I would make the LAN highest priority. If it can't connect it should theoretically then try to connect via wifi.

You can not use both at the same time. You can have both plugged in and working, but only one internet connection will be used at once.

Back
Top Bottom