Video card 2GB vs 4GB

Beemo

Solid State Member
Hey guys, So I have just spent this last week getting my PC up and running, although it is a bit neutered since I don't have a video card yet, here is my build Intel Core i5-3570K, EVGA GeForce GTX 670, Corsair 200R - This is what Iam buying - Beemo's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker btw.

I planned to buy my video card later after my tax money came back and a few other things got taken care, well I have found out I have a little bit more money to spend on a video card ($500 or so) and after doing a lot of reading many people are saying go with a 4GB card if you plan to play games such as modded Skyrim or BF3 and will being playing on multiple monitors.

So my first question is will my system be able to play a 2 or 3 monitor setup with the appropriate video card? Monitors like this LG IPS224V-PN Black 21.5" 14ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS 250 cd/m2 5,000,000:1 - Newegg.com I don't really plan on running a multi monitor just curious.

Most likely I will to get this monitor Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black IPS Panel 24" 8ms Pivot, Swivel & Height Adjustable LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 2,000,000:1 (1000:1) - Newegg.com or something similar. Will a 4GB GTX 670 be more beneficial than a 2GB, I am also thinking of future games. Or will it be more video card then my system can benefit from?

ps I plan to OC the i5 and run a Corsair H80i if that helps.

Thanks

Yes, definitely. Especially modded Skyrim. My copy absolutely killed 2 highly OCed 580s in SLI while running down sampled 2560x1600 (which is single monitor). Future games will start to use more VRAM as the newer consoles allow PC developed games to use more and more resources. I can give you an example while I'm borrowing a 4GB 680 right now if you like.

Sorry for taking so long, I had some other PC related things to take care of first.

It appears STEP 2.2 with all eye candy enabled takes over 3GB of VRAM and this was just briefly loading up my save and running around for 2 minutes. This unoverclocked 4GB 680 FTW+ runs Skyrim buttery smooth compared to the SLI 580s I had highly overclocked.

20130524_201346.jpg

Sorry for taking so long, I had some other PC related things to take care of first.

It appears STEP 2.2 with all eye candy enabled takes over 3GB of VRAM and this was just briefly loading up my save and running around for 2 minutes. This unoverclocked 4GB 680 FTW+ runs Skyrim buttery smooth compared to the SLI 580s I had highly overclocked.

20130524_201346.jpg
What software is that in the picture?

Thanks a lot PP Mguire that's awesome. I had no idea that modded Skyrim would pull 3.2mb, thats impressive. Well you've made my mind up and I will be getting a 4gb card soon.

Thanks a lot PP Mguire that's awesome. I had no idea that modded Skyrim would pull 3.2mb, thats impressive. Well you've made my mind up and I will be getting a 4gb card soon.

Just know, that I used absolutely every mod and high setting available in the STEP compilation. The only thing not tested was the beta grass, but only because it didn't look right in certain areas. My folder size is 21GB and on a 20Mb connection it took me about 6 hours to download and install each mod including INI tweaks for the ENB.

Cool, I probably wont be running everything maxed.

So in trying to find a card in my budget and get what I want I have narrowed it down to these two cards.

First choice EVGA 04G-P4-3673-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Or should I spend a little less and get this card
EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Remember I am looking towards the future as far a gaming.
Thanks

Last edited:
I just realized in your OP you put down 670, a 670 whether it's 2 or 4GB won't be able to run a Surround setup with eye candy turned up. If you're going to be running single monitor then either card will do.

Take note, the 770 is 670 price and 680 performance with Boost 2.0 which is easier to OC with. I suggest saving up an extra benj and in that time period the 4GB 770s should release.

Back
Top Bottom