Are there any other fans comparable to the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

I have been extremely happy with the performance of my Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fans [1850 rpm version].

Only problem is, now I can only find them at the cost of near $20 each.

Here's my million dollar question:

Are there any other fans comparable to the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan?

Thank you very much!

Soar

Not really, they are kind of in a class of their own. The only other option I can think of is try finding a good Yate Loon fan to substitute or limit the Scythe Kaze.

Lol yea, it's kind of like buying Noctua fans. Nobody makes fans like they do.

Well, I recently read a number of reviewers comments and there are massive numbers of people that recommend Noctua. There are also substantial number of people that are recommending Gentle Typhoon.

In your humble opinion, which is better?

Soar

They both are exceptionally good in what they do. Gentle Typhoons have a very appropriate name, as in they move a ton of air without the noise of say a Delta or Vantec. Noctua fans on the other hand are known for exceptional static pressure and silence. If you want more airflow than static pressure in your case you want Typhoons, if you want dead silence you want Noctua. IMO I think Noctua fans are just perfect for heatsinks, whereas as case fans not so great.

They both are exceptionally good in what they do. Gentle Typhoons have a very appropriate name, as in they move a ton of air without the noise of say a Delta or Vantec. Noctua fans on the other hand are known for exceptional static pressure and silence. If you want more airflow than static pressure in your case you want Typhoons, if you want dead silence you want Noctua. IMO I think Noctua fans are just perfect for heatsinks, whereas as case fans not so great.

Ok, thanks again for the great info. I ordered the Gentle Typhoons before they become extinct. Fortunately, Amazon still has them available.

Two years ago, I could pick them up for around $10 per fan [NCIX]. Now almost nobody carries them, and those that do have them are charging near $20 per fan.

Anyway, this will be for my new dedicated security rig that is mini itx form factor. I will use them for case fans for my infamous Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced - Mini-ITX Computer Case.

Soar

Ok, thanks again for the great info. I ordered the Gentle Typhoons before they become extinct. Fortunately, Amazon still has them available.

Two years ago, I could pick them up for around $10 per fan [NCIX]. Now almost nobody carries them, and those that do have them are charging near $20 per fan.

Anyway, this will be for my new dedicated security rig that is mini itx form factor. I will use them for case fans for my infamous Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced - Mini-ITX Computer Case.

Soar

The price hike is because Scythe either closed their US division or made it a lot smaller. Plus, they are more popular than they were when initially released. You can buy them all day long at performance-pcs.com. As well as other "rare" fans.

The price hike is because Scythe either closed their US division or made it a lot smaller. Plus, they are more popular than they were when initially released. You can buy them all day long at performance-pcs.com. As well as other "rare" fans.

Ok, thanks. Well, the Scythe Gentle Typhoons should arrive Tuesday. I popped in a Cougar hoping it would perform similarly...and I also liked the PMW feature. I was surprised to discover it is the ONLY audible component on the entire rig and it has an irritating sound to it too.

Went into BIOS and knocked it down to level 5 [half speed I think] before it became inaudible.

So many people rant and rave how good the Cougar's are, but for me, I was disappointed. Not to worry, got em' on a great sale, so it was good to experiment.

Oh, I noticed I have a number of new Scythe S-Flex with the S-FDB bearings...what are your thoughts on these?

Finally, if a fan does not have the PMW feature, can I still alter the speed in the BIOS or no go?

Soar

Soar

Ok, thanks. Well, the Scythe Gentle Typhoons should arrive Tuesday. I popped in a Cougar hoping it would perform similarly...and I also liked the PMW feature. I was surprised to discover it is the ONLY audible component on the entire rig and it has an irritating sound to it too.

Went into BIOS and knocked it down to level 5 [half speed I think] before it became inaudible.

So many people rant and rave how good the Cougar's are, but for me, I was disappointed. Not to worry, got em' on a great sale, so it was good to experiment.

Oh, I noticed I have a number of new Scythe S-Flex with the S-FDB bearings...what are your thoughts on these?

Finally, if a fan does not have the PMW feature, can I still alter the speed in the BIOS or no go?

Soar

Soar
Yea, I was never a fan of the Cougar fans either.

Never personally used the S-Flex fans. Haven't heard anything on them good or bad. So I guess you could take that for what it is.

No you don't need PWM.

Back
Top Bottom