Windows 8 PC shuts down with no warning, why?

Thanks guys. MasterMind, it could be a hacker or it really could be the old power strip that I am using. If it is the power strip, then I would have to buy a surge protector to test this out.

My mobo doesnt have a display for numbers, just lights. Also, I couldnt turn back on my PC without switching on and off the power switch on the PSU. Looking in the Event Viewer now.

UPDATE:

According to the Event Viewer, under Applications, Bonjour Service crashed on the 19th. I don't see a shut down except for on 5/20 at 12:50.54pm:

Ignore the bonjour, from memory I believe that is Itunes and I have yet to see a pc that doesn't get this error with itunes.

My bet is on the psu but could be a number of things.

PSU is quite old now. Going on 4 years plus. I was thinking this as well. I just switched to a different surge protector that is slightly newer that I found. What kind of tests can I do to see if my PSU really is dieing?

PSU is quite old now. Going on 4 years plus. I was thinking this as well. I just switched to a different surge protector that is slightly newer that I found. What kind of tests can I do to see if my PSU really is dieing?
Without a multimeter it's really hard. They either just give out, or start getting real hot during typical loads which is why I said feel the back of your unit while gaming. If you can meter the 12v see if it's dipping too far in the 11v range under load.

Without a multimeter it's really hard. They either just give out, or start getting real hot during typical loads which is why I said feel the back of your unit while gaming. If you can meter the 12v see if it's dipping too far in the 11v range under load.

Alright. I will have to do this when I can. My PSU was advertised to last 50k hours.

Did anybody notice that the fans are running at 43% and still the temp of hte graphics card is in the high 50's.. I find this high for normal every day use. E.G when I am playing a high graphics game my temps get to about 50 with 70% fan usage... I am still curious wild side, what temps you actually get when you are playing games. Put your fans up to 100% and play cause2 again and keep reading your temps. See if it shuts down on you.

Most likely sounds like a dying PSU.
Seen it plenty of times, random shut downs and no log in event viewer, can't really pinpoint when it happens.

Atleast they are consistent with those 3 things when they have problems.

Then I will keep an eye on a good PSU. It isnt a constant shut down but I believe it is going to happen more often.

If you can get 100.00 during the mean time, I recommend this:
SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

or this

SeaSonic M12II 750 SS-750AM 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply - Newegg.com

Either one will help your computer setup you have.

Back
Top Bottom