Windows 8 PC shuts down with no warning, why?

Wildside

Hellfire!
Hey guys, been a while. Recently, my custom tower has been shutting down recently without notice. Happened to two of my brothers while using it and me once I believe. Yesterday, the PC shut down on him while he was playing Just Cause 2. Why is this happening? How can I check if something is really wrong? I am currently running Windows 8. I remember this problem happening when I was on a Windows 7 as well.

I have the same question as carnage. What does event viewer say? Temps on graphics card can be a common problem.

Never used Event Viewer until now. Here are my temps:

I use dual screens. Right now, the computer is a bit dusty, but I don't think this is the case. I just fixed my registries with CCleaner; used AVG Tune Up before the recent unfortunate shut down. These are the usual temps. Just Cause 2 isnt a very demanding game but I did warn my bro that using two screens will raise temps on the PC.

Also, what am I looking for in the Event Viewer?

UPDATE:

I forgot to mention that I have also done scans to clean out my computer as well before the recent shut down.

Last edited:
Yeah temps look fine to me. But you mentioned it shutdown when he was playing cause2 which of course would raise the temps but if it is the graphics card it will log it in event viewer any how.

Look under windows log and look in system and application see if any errors have come up at the time of where your comp freezes or shuts down.

Also open your case up there might be a light that turns on the mobo just before it shuts down. There is usually small writing with a letter and a bunch of numbers quote that and we can look it up.

Also when it does shut down can you turn it back on straight away or does it not turn on for a couple of hours.

Last edited:
My mobo doesnt have a display for numbers, just lights. Also, I couldnt turn back on my PC without switching on and off the power switch on the PSU. Looking in the Event Viewer now.

UPDATE:

According to the Event Viewer, under Applications, Bonjour Service crashed on the 19th. I don't see a shut down except for on 5/20 at 12:50.54pm:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Log Name: System
Source: Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
User: SYSTEM
OpCode: Info
Task Category: (63)
Keywords: (2)

Last edited:
Ever get web pages saying "Your Flash Player is Out of Date, You need to update" yada yada?

Hackers use this premade page to gain remote access to your computer, they can send command line prompts to remote shut down your pc among other things. Called a "Man in the Middle" attack.

Basically once you see the screen your ****ed, the script has been ran and the port (i think, novice here) is open for them to see what you type and pictures that you are viewing on the net.

Are you connected to the internet when you play?

They can also wipe the event viewer to leave no trace of their presence.

It may not be a MIM attack but if your hardware is fine and the OS is fine, it may be a sneaky ****er out there.

Im not sure if they have to be on your network or if they can pull it off from another state, Im still learning offensive security, you need to know how they do what they do before you can build proper security, then you test your security using their current methods and tools. I guess they call it White Hat or hacking with ethics.

Edit: I highly doubt it, but it may be the surge protector, if you have other things running off the same surge protector you my be flipping the fuse. Generally they are 15 amps so only run like 12 to be safe, my desk top pc uses 4 amps on 120v and 2 amps on 240v.

I used to run 10 amp appliances and if I plugged fans and other stuff into the same strip the fuse or "breaker" would flip to prevent fire, its a good thing but if your careless or not taking that into consideration it may seem bad to you, but better than burnt walls.

Last edited:
When you say shut down do you mean that it just goes black screen turn off and then starts back up? Or windows is actually "Shutting down". If it is just plain turning off it could be any number of issues. How old is the power supply?

Monitor your GPU temps while playing the game. Use the MSI Afterburner in game monitor or put the app on the second screen. Sounds like something is getting hot and causing a hard shut down. I would also put your hardware monitor on the other screen as well to monitor CPU load temps during gaming.

Again while gaming, I would also feel the back of your PSU to see how warm it's getting.

Back
Top Bottom