DVI monitor issues

caomdayn

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I had a friend build me a computer last summer and he had an older DVI input monitor for me to use. It worked for the first few sessions but then I began having issues getting the display to work. At the time I had received it for free so I didn't care I wanted to switch to HDMI anyways so I just bought a 26" vizio TV that I have been using. I started a new job recently and upgraded my RAM from 4-12 to handle the Photoshop documents I make, but now I would like to connect two monitors for the first time and would prefer not to buy a new one.

The monitor I have is a Princeton model Vl2018W. It has an LCD display and like i said before a DVI connection (There is no hdmi port, it was manufactured in 2006). My computer is reading the monitor and I can even drag items over to it's screen, but nothing displays. I have tried changing the resolution and it changed nothing. What is really weird to me is that When the computer boots the monitor displays the boot up screens just fine, no issues. When it comes to the login screen, it flashes the screen for a second, shows some preset numbers and then goes black. It won't display images but I know it works because it shows everything during a boot.

I included some pictures below of what it shows, If anybody knows a fix please let me know I am not very tech savvy and I am hoping it is a very dumb fix I am just missing haha. I hope that is enough info, thank you to anybody who gives feedback!

The first image I attached is the off display

2nd: Then the background will then flash for less then a second (I had to take screenshots of a video to get these caps it happens so fast)

3rd: Then the image cuts out, shows this preset image for a split second before going black. The blue light on the monitor indicating its running is still on as well.

4th: This is a closeup of the preset display.

I also attached a video of what happens

Thank you anybody who replies!

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2013-05-20-11h22m20s242.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-05-20-11h22m20s242.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 3
  • vlcsnap-2013-05-20-11h22m28s215.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-05-20-11h22m28s215.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2
  • vlcsnap-2013-05-20-11h22m34s219.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-05-20-11h22m34s219.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1
  • vlcsnap-2013-05-20-11h38m38s238.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-05-20-11h38m38s238.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1
How are the two monitors plugged into the computer? Do you have a separate graphics card?

Let's say you have your working monitor plugged into the integrated graphics port, where is the DVI port for the non-working one.

I only have one graphics card they are both plugged into it.

XFX HD-677X-ZNLC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

However this problem happened just the same when the DVI was the only monitor plugged in.

If you have a good picture while booting or in bios but not in windows it usually indicated a incorrect/outdated or corrupt driver. Boot windows in safe mode so it uses the microsoft supplied driver or enable vga mode. Both are found via the f8 function on load screen.

Then install the correct or updated driver.

Also if that doesn't work did the guy overclock your card? If so reset the settings - they might be too high.

If neither of these work can you try 1. change the cable (just in case, you never know) and 2. Test it with a different monitor. I have seen similar problems a couple of years back when I was working in support and it was the monitor. One indicator was if I put my ear right near the monitor I could usually hear a faint high pitched sound or sometimes a smell like burnt marshmellows haha.

Last edited:
If you have a good picture while booting or in bios but not in windows it usually indicated a incorrect/outdated or corrupt driver. Boot windows in safe mode so it uses the microsoft supplied driver or enable vga mode. Both are found via the f8 function on load screen.

Then install the correct or updated driver.

Also if that doesn't work did the guy overclock your card? If so reset the settings - they might be too high.

If neither of these work can you try 1. change the cable (just in case, you never know) and 2. Test it with a different monitor. I have seen similar problems a couple of years back when I was working in support and it was the monitor. One indicator was if I put my ear right near the monitor I could usually hear a faint high pitched sound or sometimes a smell like burnt marshmellows haha.

When I try to update the driver is says it is current. Is there a way to manually do this and make sure I have a working driver? When I am in safe mode it isn't even recognizing the monitor so I couldn't check in that mode.

OK so when you go into the "screen resolution" option, press the detect button then identify button. If you dont know how to do this: Go to your desktop, right click and it will be there. Do this and if it cant see it, then you may need to go into your device manager and press on monitors, see if your computer is even picking them up?

When I try to update the driver is says it is current. Is there a way to manually do this and make sure I have a working driver? When I am in safe mode it isn't even recognizing the monitor so I couldn't check in that mode.

Yes there is a way to manually remove the driver but first, I don't think you answered this, is the card clocked that could be the problem?

Yes there is a way to manually remove the driver but first, I don't think you answered this, is the card clocked that could be the problem?

No it is not I don't believe. How exactly do you check for sure im not very tech savvy. Im pretty positive it is not, tho.

Back
Top Bottom