Recommended Case Size For Asus Sabertooth Z77 + Ivy Bridge i7?

Lol practically free because they suck, no offense. If your ambient is warm like mine or you have two heaters in your case your PC will definitely feel it.

Yes, you are right, they suck...they suck the hot air out and the cool air in!

I have the HAF932 but my ambient temps are 25C maximum in summer :D

My ambient temps can reach over 100 degrees F in the summer, so you are blessed Yami!

Most of the year, temps are cool. Summers are hot, hot, hot!

Soar

PS Here's a pic of my temps during the "normal" part of the year...

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3
I have the HAF 912 case, I think it's a good mid-size case and recently I saw them on sale on newegg for $49. I have no idea if Newegg ca has or had these on sale, not a bad case for $49, just plan on getting a couple 200mm fans . You can even mount 120mm fans too, if you choose....just will need four 120's in place of the two 200's

I have the HAF 912 case, I think it's a good mid-size case and recently I saw them on sale on newegg for $49. I have no idea if Newegg ca has or had these on sale, not a bad case for $49, just plan on getting a couple 200mm fans . You can even mount 120mm fans too, if you choose....just will need four 120's in place of the two 200's

Joe,

That HAAF 912 is a nice mid-size case! What did you install inside of it?

Soar

Yes, you are right, they suck...they suck the hot air out and the cool air in!

My ambient temps can reach over 100 degrees F in the summer, so you are blessed Yami!

Most of the year, temps are cool. Summers are hot, hot, hot!

Soar

PS Here's a pic of my temps during the "normal" part of the year...
So you're saying it gets 100 degrees Fahrenheit inside of your house? Need some AC man.

My place during the summer is usually closer to around 75 because the little 1ton unit can't keep up with two computers, 3 people, and a dog in a 2 bedroom apartment. Then again, you guys don't have anywhere close to what I had in my HAF922. Even the upgraded Bitfenix Pro struggled to keep the inside temps cool in my case during game play so I had to add one of the 200mm CM fans to the side.

So you're saying it gets 100 degrees Fahrenheit inside of your house? Need some AC man.

My place during the summer is usually closer to around 75 because the little 1ton unit can't keep up with two computers, 3 people, and a dog in a 2 bedroom apartment. Then again, you guys don't have anywhere close to what I had in my HAF922. Even the upgraded Bitfenix Pro struggled to keep the inside temps cool in my case during game play so I had to add one of the 200mm CM fans to the side.

PPM,

On real hot days, it gets as hot as 105F in our computer room. But this type of heat occurs rarely, and when it does occur, we can get it down into the low 90's by 8pm most of the time.

We do not use A/C. I do use 12 volt fans for ventilation and it really helps a lot.

We have gotten use to the heat. And it is nothing compared to other parts of the world. I had an assignment two years in a row where the temps got to 121F, four weeks straight. No A/C, no daily electricity to power the fans in that part of the world.

Solution: salt tabs every day, several times a day and keep reminding myself it would not last forever. Oh, and massive hydration...hourly.

Over 5,000 people died during those 4 week heatwaves each of those years in that locale. Rural areas, electricity shuts down for most of the day when temps reach that level.

After 121F for 4 weeks straight, the low 100's are a piece of cake.

When people here snivel about how hot it is, I simply smile, and on the inside remind myself that most people have no clue what hot is...

Soar

Last edited:
PPM,

On real hot days, it gets as hot as 105F in our computer room. But this type of heat occurs rarely, and when it does occur, we can get it down into the low 90's by 8pm most of the time.

We do not use A/C. I do use 12 volt fans for ventilation and it really helps a lot.

We have gotten use to the heat. And it is nothing compared to other parts of the world. I had an assignment two years in a row where the temps got to 121F, four weeks straight. No A/C, no daily electricity to power the fans in that part of the world.

Solution: salt tabs every day, several times a day and keep reminding myself it would not last forever. Oh, and massive hydration...hourly.

Over 5,000 people died during those 4 week heatwaves each of those years in that locale. Rural areas, electricity shuts down for most of the day when temps reach that level.

After 121F for 4 weeks straight, the low 100's are a piece of cake.

When people here snivel about how hot it is, I simply smile, and on the inside remind myself that most people have no clue what hot is...

Soar
Yea, pardon me when I simply say **** that. I live in America and take advantage of the amenities provided by our lifestyle because I start to sweat at 70f, immensely. I haven't experienced 121, but I have experienced 115 with a heat index of 119 for several weeks when I lived in a tent the summer of 2009, also with a humidity rating of about 75%. The only difference is it would drop to 95 or 98 at night :rolleyes:. I would say that's rather close enough and even though I rigged an AC unit to our tent and did what I could to keep cool it didn't help. It was still well over 110 in our tent alone and could not use my PC for longer than 5-10 minutes at a time. That winter we lived in 20f temps with no heat and only 3/4" plywood walls to block the wind chill. I can honestly say I would go through that at any time over the heat.

In any case my point still stands, none of you guys had the rig I did in the HAF case. The crap fans were simply not enough to keep the system cool. The terrible airflow due to how poorly designed the HDD cage was didn't help either.

So please enlighten us as to what model of High Air Flow case you used that did not cool your pc?
The 912 does have a removable hdd cage

My old rig consisted of a water cooled 3960x, SLI 580s, 5 HDDs, and the 922. The cage is not removeable and the way it's built has too much restriction so even a high flow fan could not be felt from the otherside of all them drives. Hence, why I put the original front 922 fan on the side panel to cool my cards off. I did have my rad setup for pull but to reduce hot air from the case I went with a warmer CPU to more air is being pushed out of the case. I did have an OCZ 120mm which pushed a bit of air, and changed that out to a Scythe Kaze at full speed.

In simple, when you fill the lower end model HAF cases with a lot of parts not even aftermarket fans can keep up. They are terribly designed, and in which case is the exact reason why I do not recommend them to anybody. Not to mention, proprietary fans are a no no in my books anyways. I tend to recommend cases to people that can actually swap out ALL fans big or small. I could have put a 140 in the front of that 922 but it would have pushed less air than the Bitfenix Pro. Of course, most all if not all of this information has been said here and in other threads as well explaining why I do not like them. All this not even touching base on cable management issues.

Then again, I also tell most people to get whatever they want and give them a simple warning as to the cons of a specific case. As I did at the beginning of this thread.

Edit: I'll also say, I'm not sure why it's an issue or dispute as to why I have an issue with them considering I have extensive experience with the 922, 932, and X. If I didn't have a problem with them I wouldn't voice an opinion over it. It's not like I'm going to lie to this guy, I have no reason to.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you had so many issues with that 922, but the 912 is a mid-size and is not split from upper/lower half. It has pre-drilled holes for 1- 200 or 2-120's in the front and the top, and 120's for the side and back. The entire front of the case is open mesh. And has good wire management too.
I feel the same thing about the Antec 900 as you feel about the HAF 922 but that does not mean that all Antec cases are bad. And I know a lot of peeps that like the Antec 900

BTW: I have an MSI 1366 board, an i7- 920 cpu with a Zalman 9900 cooler, two 1 tb drives and a corsair vertex 90 gb SSD, GTX 560ti video card, Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner

Last edited:
Yea I had a lot typed up and TF ****ed up again, not typing that all out again.

Basically, little 560ti setups don't shake a candle stick to the heaters that are 580s, and a couple of 680s on the wrong board (slots too close) will heat up a lower end HAF case considerately too. The whole point was, don't go with a case with proprietary fans unless you plan on using something that doesn't put off too much heat or will upgrade cases later.

Back
Top Bottom