Recommended Case Size For Asus Sabertooth Z77 + Ivy Bridge i7?

Struzinski

Baseband Member
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

I'm looking to start my build very soon, and unfortunately I'm a perfectionist when it comes to buying parts. I'm gonna want the best of the best lol so I'm looking to purchase the above motherboard. I plan on making this PC fairly high-tech so I can run games at 1080p and possibly HD video rendering as well. So along with this motherboard, I'm looking to purchase an Intel Ivy Bridge Quad-Core i7. I haven't picked out a GPU yet but I'll probably be looking into a high model NVIDIA. With these parts picked out, would you recommend an ATX Full case? Or will an ATX Mid be good enough? I know that the full would probably be better for more room to work with and more fan placement to keep it at a cooler temperature, but I'm not going to go crazy with a ton of hard-drives and I'm also going to stick with the integrated Realtek sound card.

Or will an ATX Mid be good enough? I know that the full would probably be better for more room to work with and more fan placement to keep it at a cooler temperature, but I'm not going to go crazy with a ton of hard-drives and I'm also going to stick with the integrated Realtek sound card.

You already have the main points down. After this, the main consideration is airflow, and to keep in mind that a crappy full-tower is going to do you worse than a good mid-tower.

Just get a good midtower. I would stay away from anything that has proprietary large fans like the HAF series, Level 10, Corsair 600t, ect. Reason being, it's a huge pain to replace these fans with ones with better air flow.

So stick to cases like the 300r that is 120mm. Although, something like a 3770k and a 680 will run fairly cool. Also, don't skimp on the PSU. Check out my article for information on PSU selection stickied.

Full tower cases are very niche. They are for the people who think they absolutely need a 3ft tall case, or for the people who want a full sized water loop. I took a picture of a Cosmos 2 and it wouldn't fit under a tall table because it was so large. Very unnecessary to say the least. Also as was said, a full tower with crappy cooling aspects will give you less performance than a good midtower with proper fans.

Wow, thanks for the help guys! I actually plan on putting an 850w PSU in it (even though I probably could go much lower). I'm one of those "just to be safe" people lol

Any recommended cases or specs I should look for? I'm looking to spend no more than $150 on a case. If I have to buy any fans at some point, than I will. It's no big deal. I just don't know of any good brands for cases, I hear mixed reviews about all of them.

Which PSU?

I think it would be easier if you were to link cases you like and we give you an idea if they are good or not. Cases are like mice, rather personal preference.

I tend to disagree with the HAF series cases PP
You can get the 200mm fans for less than $20. in many places and they are very easy to install/replace. The problem arises when you attempt to put a different brand 200mm fan in another brand case. These large fans are propriety to their cases, and as long as you stick to that you won't have any problems

I tend to disagree with the HAF series cases PP
You can get the 200mm fans for less than $20. in many places and they are very easy to install/replace. The problem arises when you attempt to put a different brand 200mm fan in another brand case. These large fans are propriety the their cases, and as long as you stick to that you won't have any problems
That's exactly the issue I'm referring to. The stock proprietary fans suck. The 230 and 200mm fans that CM provide are rated for about 56CFM and they do not blow that much air. I had to ghetto my Bitfenix Pro in my HAF 922 and it was rated for 75. HUGE difference, but not everybody wants to rig their stuff to make it work. They like it as is, hence it being a problem because airflow sucked with those 2 stock 200mm fans. That's why I said to avoid those certain cases because it's easier to replace a 120mm fan with something better or silent rather than worrying about performance vs possible install problems.

Struzinski,

I have the HAF X [942] and the HAF 932, both work purrrrrrfectly! No complaints at all. I also was able to pick up 4 brand new large CM fans [I think they are 200mm], for nearly free from NewEgg after sending in the rebates. I have never had a problem with the CM fans, but just like to be safe.

Fry's has the Corsair 400R on sale this weekend [normally $109, now $55]. These Corsair 400r's are nice cases too.

Finally, if you can find a good deal on a Corsair 500r, they too are excellent cases.

I have attached two pics, one of my personal CM HAF X, the other of the Corsair 500r that I built and sold last month.

Hope this helps!

Soar

Attachments

• 16 - Copy (2).jpg
    16 - Copy (2).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 3
Lol practically free because they suck, no offense. If your ambient is warm like mine or you have two heaters in your case your PC will definitely feel it.

Back
Top Bottom