GTX 700 series, be warned.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
The 760ti and 770 will be directly rebranded GTX 670 and 680 respectively, and therefore are not worth waiting for. There is literally no differences between them besides the bios calling it a new card and slightly higher clock speeds which are attainable yourself. Save yourself the time and money, just get the 600 series.

The GTX 780 on the other hand is based on the GK110 and is a cut down version of the Titan. It does offer improvements and will be better than the 680 as a middle man placeholder to the Titan and 680/770.

So, if I wanted to upgrade to a much stronger card yet didn't have the money to drop on a titan... I could possibly get a 780?

After all of the issues with surround on the green team, I'm pretty sure my 690 will be my last Nvidia card until they get their **** together. Can't wait for the 8970, just hope it is actually powerful enough to run 3 30s, cause the 7970 isn't :( Good to see that both companies are sticking to the theme of renaming old cards and lying to the public about them being new. Never change guys.

I don't think they are offering the 8970 even as oem. There are a few 8000 series cards being used by oem but those are also rebranded 7000 series. I just hope the next ati cards come with a ton of memory.

The OEM 8000 are rebranded 7000 series. Pretty much what I was getting at. Next series from both Nvidia and AMD should be rather interesting.

I have got my eyes on a 780. I don't really know why. I barely even game :p Steam says I played 10 hours of Company of Heroes in 2 weeks. Which is, uhm, an old and undemanding game.

I like the idea that I can play any game that comes out on max, though. Inevitably I will get Battlefield 4, the new Metro Last Light. I am also anticipating much better looking and therefor more demanding games once the new consoles arrive.

My i7 2600 may even bottleneck a 780 but I hope not too much. If it does, I guess that will need replacing further down the line too.

BF4 will perform the same as BF3 so no issue there. Optimal recommended card for Last Light is a 690, which is still the best Nvidia card. I will be playing it on a 680 next week so I can pipe in and let you know how it goes.

Nah, it won't bottleneck.

So, I am good to go for my 680 for quite some time then. Kinda figured that. Thanks for confirming. 680 is still a very nice card though.

BTW can anyone point me to some overclocking guides as well? I'd like to take a crack at doing that to mine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom