Trying to recover data from Laptop hard drive

Nick

Everything to Nothing
My laptop one day decided that it no longer wanted to boot up Windows.. Normally this wouldn't be a problem and I'd format and forget about it but the drive has some important stuff on it I was stupid enough to not back up.

When I plug the drive into my PC it won't boot so I got a USB hard drive caddy. The hard drive shows up in device manager as it should, it's a 640GB Seagate drive so under device manager it says STXXXXXXXXX or whatever but under Computer it just says "H:" and nothing else. When I double click it explorer ceases to respond. I've tried using 'Recuva' but that too stops responding when I select to recover files from it. At a bit of a loss as to what to so any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Try booting off of a linux LiveCD and see if you can pull the data off that way. Some of the data might be on bad sectors and trying to be accessed.

After doing that, run a Chkdsk /f /r on it the drive from Windows.

Just tried that mate but it could only access the Linux partition on the drive and not the windows one :( Says it was "Unable to mount it".

Tried a couple but they seem to become unresponsive when the hard disk is plugged in. The WIndows partition on this drive shows up as RAW but "Healthy" under disk management on Windows 7 on my desktop PC.

Back
Top Bottom