800US on Cpu/Mobo/Memory/Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2.7ghz AMD processor is faster than almost all of the pentium 4's with ht. AMD's architecture isn't the same.... just have nubius come in here, I suck at explaing these things. Also the 6600GT will be better, but it isn't out (atleast from a good brand) in AGP yet. When it does come out in AGP then you will want to get the eVGA branded one.

AMD's architecture is more efficient. Intel's architecture isn't efficient, but it allows for better clock ramping which makes up for the inefficacy.

AMD's architecture allows for a processor to complete ~11 instructions per clock cycle (AMD64). Intel's architecture allows for a processor to complete ~4-5 instructions per clock cycle.

Since, AMD's architecture doesn't allow for extreme scalability like Intel's it is forced to run at low speeds where as Intel's can run at very high speeds. That is why a Pentium 4 520/2.8 GHz can perform equally to an Athlon 64 2800+/1.8 GHz.

Think of it this way:
An AMD car running at 18 MPh making only 12 stops for gas completing an 180 mile trip in 10 hours.
An Intel car running at 28 MPh making 31 stops for gas completing a 180 mile trip in 10 hours.

beedubaya, your a moron. I'm simply stating from my experiences. People have advised never to go for more than 512 MB because current applications do not need more than 512 MB. And I'm only stating from my purposes too. I do a lot of photo editing, video editing, animation, and web design. I can honestly say for my purposes, Intel is better.

AMD is better for gaming and only that. For power apps, I'd always recommend Intel.

As far as memory goes, nothing more than 512 MB. And shouldn't get any of that trash high performance stuff. It is just altered memory that is the same chip as value ram except the alterations are done by a company and not a user. Go on Newegg and check the voltages and timings of that stuff. Get some value ram and apply the same settings. End of story, you have some performance stuff without paying $100-400 more.

Well megadeath thanks for clearing up that AMD vs Intel stuff. Anything that requires alot of cpu will be games. Secondly I know nothing about overclocking so It would be nice just to keep a non overclocked unless overclocking is easy. Secondly I dont know how to change memory frequency. Is it fairly straight forwars or do you think theres many tutorials on it on the web. I think Ill get a 1gig of memory to be read for the future. On a different note do you think I would need a new power supply? I dont know which one I have right now but im sure its quite generic. Would I needs a real spiffy one?

Thanks again so much,
Scotty

its better to get a new 1. u don't want yer brand new system crashing due to power failures from a generic psu. Antec is a gd psu company.

hey lazerman when will the 6600GT APG come out? As I wont even be able to afford my system for another 5 months. Think is will be out by then? Anyways I think you are right derfist ill get a new psu.
Thanks again to everyone who have contributed so far!
Scotty
Is changing memory frequency hard?

Sorry one more thing,
I have few questions on memory.
1) Is brand name important?
2) If so what should I get?
Thanks
Scotty
PS:
I got it all worked out (im buying mobo, cpu, memory first. Then video card later)
Asus A8V Deluxe: $125
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939: $203
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200-OEM: $146
And later
GEFORCE 6600 GT AGP: $230

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom