Laptop Startup Problem

roweder

In Runtime
I have an ASUS N76VZ laptop and it often won't start windows properly.

It gets to the starting windows screen and it just says starting windows, the windows icon never appears (windows 7). The hard drive light is not blinking when this happens, and it will stay like this as long as I leave it like this.

I had windows 8 before and I thought that it was the problem, but apparently it wasn't. I re-installed windows 7 thinking windows 8 was causing the problem but It does this with windows 7 too.

I had windows 8 for a good 2 months before this started happening.

I am currently running windows 7 64 bit, and this laptop has two hard drives.

When this problem occurs, the hard drives keep running, but the computer just isn't accessing them. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is a problem with the SATA bus, or with the hard drives themselves (western digital, not sure of the model, I can look it up if necessary). If it is the hard drives, this would make things a lot easier for me as I could just buy two new hard drives and the problem would go away, but I'm afraid that if I buy new hard drives and it turns out to be a problem with the SATA bus, then I'll have two new hard drives that I bought and can't return and I'll still need a new computer.

I'm in college and I really need a working laptop. It still works but sometimes I have to try two or three times before I can get it to turn on correctly.

Last edited:
Certainly sounds like a HDD problem if you've ruled out the current O.S.
I recommend just buying a new HDD and installing Windows 7 on it.

Certainly sounds like a HDD problem if you've ruled out the current O.S.
I recommend just buying a new HDD and installing Windows 7 on it.
You think it's definitely the hard drive and not the SATA bus or some other component? This just seems like such a weird problem, I've never run into anything like it before, although I guess if it was the SATA bus the thing just wouldn't work at all.

I have a msi fx620 laptop and I have the same problem with windows hanging on startup, I have a second hard drive in it and if I remove the second HDD it boots normal into windows, I'm still in the process of working thru this problem but you should try just one HDD and see if it starts normally like mine. I'll let you know my findings.

I have a msi fx620 laptop and I have the same problem with windows hanging on startup, I have a second hard drive in it and if I remove the second HDD it boots normal into windows, I'm still in the process of working thru this problem but you should try just one HDD and see if it starts normally like mine. I'll let you know my findings.

Try changing the boot order in BIOS. It's probably trying to just boot off of the secondary drive and not seeing a bootloader there, but not continuing on and trying to boot off of the drive with your OS on it.

On my msi, it show both SSD's and a pxe boot option, I have the first boot option to the SSD with the OS on it. I have looked at it before and it has always stayed on the same SSD. Even at first before the problem started. It's makes it to the starting windows screen so I'm sure it's reading the right drive, I assume it wouldn't make it that far if it was trying to boot from the other. Since there are only pictures on it at this time.

Ok, thanks. I'll look to see if msi has updated the bios for my model. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Back
Top Bottom