Dell XPS 435MT Upgrade Questions

ithanz

Baseband Member
Hi Everybody.

So I wanted to get a new case for my dell studio xps 435mt. Reason being, the case sucks for my video card. It sits right on the bottom of the case and blows the hot air onto the bottom of the case and gets way to hot. Not only that, the case is boring ;)

The motherboard dx58m01. Details in link.

I was thinking of getting the case Thermaltake Level10 GT Snow Edition Thermaltake Level10 GT Snow Edition . Details in link
I will also be getting an SSD and keeping the 1tb hdd I have for music/videos. I need Sata 2 - Any recommendations? I don't want a large ssd around 100g will do. Is there much benefit with ssd 2 buy 2 small ones around 50g as appose to 1? I am thinking of getting sata 3 anyway because I believe the sata 3 will work with sata 2? and I won't have to buy another ssd when I upgrade the motherboard eventually. Any down siders to this?

My graphics cards is a ATI Radeon HD 4850. Dimensions 12.5 X 24.6 X 2.2 cm. Is it just me or is the fan quite small on this one? It can never keep the heat down but in saying that I am assuming it is because of the crappy case.

My main worry is I buy this case, and nothing fits well or I have the same problem of airflow with the graphics card. This is my third graphics card replaced by dell warranty. The warranty is just expired FINALLY so I can start looking at alternative casing and I am in no doubt I will be looking for another graphics card shortly as I can already see some side effects of this one as well.

My power supply is 350w. Is this something I should be looking at upgrading and I have read some things on Dell not having a standard power supply ports etc is that true?

Can anybody see any problems with me fitting all the parts in or something I have over looked? Or if anybody recommends a better case? I don't particularly like the style of the case I picked, I prefer more classy seamless designs but I picked that one purely for airflow. I realise I can get cases that have even better airflow but the dust factor makes me cringe.

If anybody would like a picture of the current pc to help answer questions let me know.

Cheers.

First things first, it isn't the case, it's the card. The 4850 single slot cards are noisy and don't blow enough air. I owned 2, and it was a terrible experience.

I would not buy that case personally. It's not as good as people think, and it's ugly IMO. If you want something cheap, classy, and has good airflow the Corsair 200r and 300r cases are nice. If you want a tid bit more pricey while retaining the mATX format the 350D is excellent. Other than that, it's pretty much personal preference. All you need to do is make sure the case you want support mATX boards (which most if not all standard ATX cases do).

SATA is forwards and backwards compatible with each other. If spending the money, just get a SATA3 SSD. On that note, if you save money on the case I suggest one of these in this order:
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB
Corsair Force GT 120GB
Corsair Force GS 120GB
Samsung 840pro 128GB
Intel 520
Crucial M4...

Your PSU should also be replaced but if you are going to continue to use the stock Dell parts it'll be fine for now. If you want to read about PSU importance on quality take a look at my article stickied at the top of this sub-forum, last page.

Edit: mATX and ATX is the board size.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say a quick thanks for such a quick reply. Cost is not an issue at all so I am happy to buy a new graphics card and PSU. I will read up on your recommendations and the PSU article and I'll post what I am thinking of combining soon :) Cheers!

Edit: Love the 350d - Very classy. I have already changed my mind to this one.

Last edited:
You can lmk what video card you want and I can give you a link to a PSU that will suite your needs. Your lucky that you at least have a CPU that's still rather nice for todays standards.

I am looking at the geforce gtx 670. Just wondering how I determine if I will cause any bottlenecking in regards to the motherboard and CPUthat I have now. Or do you have any other suggestions? Cheers. I am guessing from what I read I need a 500w PSU is that right? I will need one that can do dual monitors and triple (but not a necessity to do triple)

GTX 670 can handle 4 monitors by itself and is a rather decent card. I recommend the Corsair TX650m with it, as with that PSU you can upgrade quite a long ways into the future yet you can also remove the extra cables for better cable management.

Cheers mate!...You don't by any chance work for Corsair do you? ;)

Last edited:
No, but some ask me the same about ASRock too. I just recommend what I've personally used and know to be 100% quality.
For instance, most TX and AX units are made by Seasonic who I think make the best PSUs. I recommend Corsair because they are generally cheaper for the same thing and come with Corsair's great CS.

Sounds good to me :) - Just curious in regards to the motherboard - When I do upgrade, is the case going to be a problem in regards to size. The more enthusiastic I get about gaming etc, the more quality I am looking for hence why the Graphics card and hard drive have been an annoyance from there on in.

I'm going to have a battle on my hands because I just showed my Husband the case and he hates it. God knows why he prefers the other one 0_0. I love the window effect my only pain is my motherboard is green and I have a pet peeve of making things look like they were all meant to be together which I admit is partly why I chose the Nvidia graphics card haha. I know I can get the non-windowed one but then I think welllll it just looks like another case then. Oh how I wish my motherboard was BLACK! Damn you Dell, why you so ugly!.

Cheers mate!...You don't by any chance work for Corsair do you? ;)

Gonna go ahead and back him up on Corsair and ASRock as well. :silly:

Oh, and to answer your question, the case will be fine for upgrades, just you'll be restrained to microATX size.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom