Hi from Texas

I am literally speechless (well not now but I was)... I really don't know what to say about that. I'll never hear that song the same again ... seriously it's like I walked in on my parents going at it or something. I just ... I ... well ... ya know?

I am only 27 and I went from playing everyday since I was 13 to only occasionaly playing Flamenco on my classical. So I guess it happens to all of us. I was real big into playing in high school because the fantasy of actually playing on a stage and having people enjoy it still seemed feasible. I am not talking about big MTV and money dreams either. I mean like playing the Lizard lounge or somewhere in deep ellem for a few free beers on the weekend.

Iron Butterfly reminds me of some of the other psych bands like Strawberry Alarm Clock and Jefferson Airplane. I wish I was alive to see them in their prime while it was new and original.

Are you by any chance a fan of Jethro Tull? Obviously not psychedelic but classic none the less. I like their first few albums better. Stand Up, This Was, Benifet, Aqualung and Thick as a brick are all great from start to finish. I like their newer albums too but Ian Anderson's voice really started to go around 1978-ish.
Classic Rock is so much fun to play. It is the middle ground between the simplicity of blues and the complexity of alot of metal bands like Dream Theatre. I do still love blues and metal. With blues the older the better and metal of course the faster and heavier the better.
I too had a band in high school. We almost played the Ernie Ball (3rd) stage at Warped 04 but it all fell apart. I have had a few bands that also fell apart. I made it so easy too, just bring your guitar and play because I had all the gear. I have played some "big" venues in the DFW area like the Ridgeley. My last gig I ever played was my classic rock band that hit the sack right after. It was a little hole in the wall called The Roadhouse off 287.
I currently have a band and we play thrash/metal but also play covers. Our only problem currently is a place to play but we will get that straight sooner or later.

Yea I like Tull. Lately I've been learning a lot of Maiden. Classic rock is just so easy to jam to because it doesn't have to be perfect to sound right.

I never sound like who I cover because I play my own way but still the right chords. There's many ways to play a chord but I simplify mine by just playing E, A and D shaped chords.

Of course there's power chords. :D

I too had a band in high school. We almost played the Ernie Ball (3rd) stage at Warped 04 but it all fell apart. I have had a few bands that also fell apart. I made it so easy too, just bring your guitar and play because I had all the gear. I have played some "big" venues in the DFW area like the Ridgeley. My last gig I ever played was my classic rock band that hit the sack right after. It was a little hole in the wall called The Roadhouse off 287.
I currently have a band and we play thrash/metal but also play covers. Our only problem currently is a place to play but we will get that straight sooner or later.

Yea I like Tull. Lately I've been learning a lot of Maiden. Classic rock is just so easy to jam to because it doesn't have to be perfect to sound right.

Thats cool. We never got to play a real gig because we never had the drummer available on any practice days so we had to all take turns playing drums when he was not there. The only plus to it was the other 3 of us all become good at guitar, bass, and drums so it was worth it.

Of course there's power chords. :D
I know a lot of really accomplished guitarist who never use power chords. They act like its beneath them. Sometimes, and by that I mean a whole lot of the time, they are the only appropriate thing to play.

That Black Betty is a good song. Have you heard the old Leadbelly version from the 30's?

Thats cool. We never got to play a real gig because we never had the drummer available on any practice days so we had to all take turns playing drums when he was not there. The only plus to it was the other 3 of us all become good at guitar, bass, and drums so it was worth it.

I know a lot of really accomplished guitarist who never use power chords. They act like its beneath them. Sometimes, and by that I mean a whole lot of the time, they are the only appropriate thing to play.

That Black Betty is a good song. Have you heard the old Leadbelly version from the 30's?
Same situation, except with the bass player. He thought webcamming with a chick in LA was more important than going to Warped. They kept saying it was impossible to go on without him but when I left the lead singer dropped the guitar, picked up bass, and got a new drummer. Bunch of *******s.

I had my share of members come and go but I and the drummer stuck together all the way. In fact just the two of us played together at jams a lot and we were tight. Even thought I said I played lead and rhythm I also played bass and I mixed them in songs where it carried.

Also it allowed me to extend the songs and everybody had fun.

Yea, I heard the Leadbelly version but I like Ram Jam better.

Sounds like your boy got his priorities a little mixed up huh? Did he realize the warped tour is actually a big deal with big acts and that was a chance at getting your name out there? I bet he still did not get any from the webcam girl in L.A.

I know this sounds kind of messed up but since when besides a vocalist is a band member irreplaceable? I mean as a bassist did he bring that unique sound that became the bands sound? I doubt he was another Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool, Flea or John Entwistle right? Don't get me wrong, other bandmates can make or break a band and some are irreplacable. But as a bassist, if he was just a constant rhythm, he could have been replaced. Since you said the other guy dropped the guitar and took over bass, the old bassist could not have been that good if the guitarist was able to cover for a full time bassist. I know this because I can play bass but to really be good at it is something only a bassist can do to it's fullest extent. I consider myself a guitarist who can play bass but by no means am I a bassist. I'm sure you've met a real bassist so I think you know what I am trying to say. Right? I am not just trying to bash your friend whom I don't even know.

Wrenches, I just read you msg after I posted to mguire. I don't really like the leadbelly version but it's nice to know the origin of the song. I appreciate it but I dont like it too much.

Last edited:
Sounds like your boy got his priorities a little mixed up huh? Did he realize the warped tour is actually a big deal with big acts and that was a chance at getting your name out there? I bet he still did not get any from the webcam girl in L.A.

I know this sounds kind of messed up but since when besides a vocalist is a band member irreplaceable? I mean as a bassist did he bring that unique sound that became the bands sound? I doubt he was another Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool, Flea or John Entwistle right? Don't get me wrong, other bandmates can make or break a band and some are irreplacable. But as a bassist, if he was just a constant rhythm, he could have been replaced. Since you said the other guy dropped the guitar and took over bass, the old bassist could not have been that good if the guitarist was able to cover for a full time bassist. I know this because I can play bass but to really be good at it is something only a bassist can do to it's fullest extent. I consider myself a guitarist who can play bass but by no means am I a bassist. I'm sure you've met a real bassist so I think you know what I am trying to say. Right? I am not just trying to bash your friend whom I don't even know.

Wrenches, I just read you msg after I posted to mguire. I don't really like the leadbelly version but it's nice to know the origin of the song. I appreciate it but I dont like it too much.
He actually flew up there to meet her and the whole time it was a fake act. Funny how it worked out. Least he didn't spend the cash on the tickets.

We lived in a small town of about 500 people. Finding another person who could actually play an instrument on our level was rather hard. He did add a lot of groove and rhythm, as well as a bass solo to one of our songs. When I left and the other guy took up bass they went a totally different direction with their music which is why they could do that. The drummer wasn't as good as myself either and couldn't play the songs I wrote the drum parts for properly. Not being arrogant, it's just the truth which is why they changed everything up. They did play the Curtain Club once but that was after another musician swap. They played a benefit gig for my family and that was the last time they played. New drummer left and lead guitarist switched to drums because he wanted to learn. Singer went back to rhythm guitar and vocals, old bassist came back as lead guitar, and they got a new guy in for bass that could barely plunk out basic notes on time. After the last gig the old bassist now lead guitarist dropped them yet again and I was good friends with the bassist. He randomly asked me on Xbox Live during a Reach match if I wanted to fill. I took 3 days of nonstop practicing their songs (about 12 full blown originals) and had all the solo parts down. We had one practice together then they completely fell apart as a band. That's when my classic rock band formed as the bassist wanted to do something else more "simple" to drink to.
I got some vids on my Youtube that are pretty crappy, and some hilarious if you are interested.

I need to record myself playing my songs before I lose it. Of course it'll be with a drum machine as I've been playing with for years.

It's a Roger Linn Adrenalinn III which is a fantastic toy to play with. It's a beat-synced multi-FX - amp modeling - drum box.

If you haven't heard it, Youtube have several demos of it and some with Roger Linn himself. This guy is good, as a musician and an engineer.

Back
Top Bottom