Need help upgrading GPU & PSU

Baila

Beta member
Hey guys, I need some guidance with upgrading my PC, mainly my power supply. I play games and unfortunately the video card advertised with my PC is not what is actually in my PC, and apparently nothing can be done about this. I'm thrilled to say the least. PC is 7 months old and I'm running 7fps on WoW on every low setting possible in the middle of an encounter...

Model: ASUS CM1740-US-2AG
Processor: AMD A8-3820 2.5GHz (64 bit quad core)
Memory: 8 GB DDR3 1600
Hard Drive: 1TB 7200RPM
Video Card: Listed as an AMD Radeon 7470, but this isn't what I have. I have an ASUS HD7470?
PSU: Currently 350w...
Dimensions: 15.75" x 14.17" x 6.81"

I think this is about all that's needed
ASUS CM1740-US-2AG Desktop PC - Newegg.com
There's the link to the new egg listing, this is where I purchased the computer. I know some information isn't correct on there, like the video card and power supply.

Basically I need a better video card, but with the low wattage I can't really get anything worth the time, as far as I've found through my own research. I need some assistance in the power supply area. I understand what to look for in a video card, but feedback is appreciated in that area as well. I'm new to upgrading my own computer so I don't know all of the really technical aspects of it yet.
Any help would be awesome, I thank you in advance. Let me know if anyone needs more information. I'm looking for probably 500-600W supply.

Need a budget to work with.
For a PSU, you will want a Seasonic or Corsair TX series or above.

As for the video card situation, the 7470 is built in to the CPU. You have what's called an AMD APU which has dedicated graphics and CPU in one chip. You could have an add in card for Crossfire and if Crossfire isn't enabled you will have lower performance. Even still, they are very low end cards.

With a budget, I can get you the best bang for your dollar.

Need a budget to work with.
For a PSU, you will want a Seasonic or Corsair TX series or above.

As for the video card situation, the 7470 is built in to the CPU. You have what's called an AMD APU which has dedicated graphics and CPU in one chip. You could have an add in card for Crossfire and if Crossfire isn't enabled you will have lower performance. Even still, they are very low end cards.

With a budget, I can get you the best bang for your dollar.

Hmm... let's go with $300. Of course though, lower is always better. I don't need the best of the best. I'm fine with not playing on ultra graphics, I would just like to be running better, a high fps is better than ultra high graphics in my position I guess. And I need to be able to run in HDMI (I assume that's a given). I have HDMI hook up, and I bought an HDMI monitor.
Thank you!

Not bad at all.... and this will all fit into what I have? I wouldn't even have known where to start. Thank you so much for your time & knowledge!

Yea I had to Google your PC since Newegg pics are down for that model. It will take standard cards and PSUs. That PSU will be good for a ton of upgrades too.

Yea I had to Google your PC since Newegg pics are down for that model. It will take standard cards and PSUs. That PSU will be good for a ton of upgrades too.
Yeah that was pretty much my goal. I had a budget when I purchased the computer, didn't think I'd need to be upgrading it so soon, but I think that it'll be worth the money. It's my hobby, so the better it runs the happier I am :) I'll probably be able to have it upgraded within 2 weeks.
Thank you again so much for your help

Back
Top Bottom