Loud Server

It's to his stock CPU cooler for his FX chip, which was the first thing I told him would be loud if it was actually heating up. He assured us it was the rear case fan hooked up to the first case fan header. If that was the case, putting it on silent wouldn't have made much of a difference depending on what kind of cheapo fans they put in the case.

It's to his stock CPU cooler for his FX chip, which was the first thing I told him would be loud if it was actually heating up. He assured us it was the rear case fan hooked up to the first case fan header. If that was the case, putting it on silent wouldn't have made much of a difference depending on what kind of cheapo fans they put in the case.

I hear ya, i just know that my cooler was loud at heck because mine was maxing itself out.

@JamesBond - If its not the CPU fan, it looks like a fan that does not have a RPM monitor wire(The yellow wire on most 3 pin fan connector)

Another thing i noticed about my asus motherboard is that even on silent mode, if a fan does not have the yellow 3rd pin, it wont be able to calibrate the rpm speed so it will just send the full 12 volts which will max the fan rpm out

I hear ya, i just know that my cooler was loud at heck because mine was maxing itself out.

@JamesBond - If its not the CPU fan, it looks like a fan that does not have a RPM monitor wire(The yellow wire on most 3 pin fan connector)

Another thing i noticed about my asus motherboard is that even on silent mode, if a fan does not have the yellow 3rd pin, it wont be able to calibrate the rpm speed so it will just send the full 12 volts which will max the fan rpm out
I don't know of any modern 120mm+ fan that doesn't have the RPM wire lol. Well, at least the ones that have a 3pin end.

ok so what do you guys suggest?
Just try the chassis fan on silent mode. If that doesn't help your cause then it's your CPU fan and there isn't much to do about it besides getting an aftermarket cooler or AIO unit.

Just try the chassis fan on silent mode. If that doesn't help your cause then it's your CPU fan and there isn't much to do about it besides getting an aftermarket cooler or AIO unit.

How much is an aftermarket cooler and is it going to make a huge difference?

It will make a huge difference, yes, depending on what fans you get with it or what cooler you go with. Cost depends entirely on what you go with.

Make sure it's 100% for sure the CPU before spending the money though. Although, that makes two of us that thinks it's the CPU fan.

OK, I will make sure first.

But if it is the CPU fan, how much do I need to speak to make the machine almost silent?

Back
Top Bottom