PSU not grounded- shocking!

I'm sure you could test it first. Not done it before but maybe remove the ps and power it up, use a multimeter, one lead on the case, the other on the ground plug of the other outlet its plugged into? If you read voltage, replace. But if it were me, I'd just replace it. Doesnt make sense the short would be anywhere else. The motherboard or any components would either fry or you'd definitely have problems while its running.

Last edited:
Ok well here's an update... Just talked to my dad and he says the house isn't grounded! :/ I used one of those tools with a light and two prongs and it lit up for ground but apparently it didn't light up the right way. The light was only about half as bright with I assumed was normal, but apparently not.

He said he will be able to ground it tomorrow since it is an exterior wall. Thanks god!

A ground is very important for devices that have a metal casing that a person could touch, it ensures they all are at the same "charge" electrically, and that it's draining off to ground so that you don't get shocked. The real kicker is when you have a home that for some reason ends up having two grounds, which isn't legal in many areas, because the two grounds don't work together when you have inter-connected devices on two different grounds, there will be a difference in charge on them. Ask me how I know... Actually, don't it was a painful lesson learned at a VERY old school that had 6 different grounds because of additions.

Back
Top Bottom