Weirdest problem to date (for me anyway)

LucidComa

Solid State Member
Hi everyone. First post here. Forgive me if I overlooked any rules. I have done as best a search as I know how for the particular problem. Just so you know, I am currently studying for my A+ but have been around computers my whole life (dad is a programer). So I am not an expert but I'm not a noob eigther. Well maybe after this i am haha.

I was working on a friends PC. He got it off someone else so my opening info was limited. The first screen to pop up would say "Diskette Drive 0 not found." I'd press F2 to continue. The OS (Win 8) was failing to load durring the screen with the short loading bar before the welcome screen. The bar would move for about 45 seconds or so then the system would shut down. I tried to get to several different tools with no success. Couldn't boot to safe mode. It seemed to be with graphical interfaces that, when I tried to use the F8 Repair your computer, I got a similar problem to the startup where the system would just shut down. Tried inserting the Win8 DVD and it wouldn't load. Switched to a Win7 thumb drive I have. Same problem.

So I did my old, pre-study days, exam by using a live CD of Ubuntu. It booted up. He asked if I could install it so I did. Another co-worker came in while I was busy with a customer and re-tried the Win8 DVD. It worked! We installed it and no problems.

The only info he could give me was that the person before him installed a type of drop box application for school. And that's when the problem started.

My question is, WHAT DID I DO RIGHT? I've been going over it in my head and my books and the internet (though I don't really know how to search something like this efficiently). An I would like to know if there was a more efficient way to handle this? Though I did have it fixed after less than a half hour of working on it.

Any assistance or links to the answer would be appreciated. And I installed and ran CPU-Z and kept the text file if you need any hardware info.

Last edited:
The first thing that comes to mind is the booting files were missing some where during the initial start-up process. Windows has a boot loader phase which is accessed by a partition on the hard drive NTLDR. If the file is corrupted or missing then you can run into that problem despite repairing.

Think of a 'repair' as reinstalling files to the partition of windows rather than the actual boot loader files that may cause the problem. In 2009, the A+ certification required you learn some of the command prompts to browse to the folder and replace NTLDR files to repair problems such as these. Look for it in your studies.

Yes I have been through that part of the training. But I couldn't get to any kind of command line or interface to repair it. Even the install DVD wouldn't load. Its wracking my brain. And don't you usually get a message "ntldr missing" or something like that?

I'm feeling like boot.ini or ntldr or the MBR was corrupt but would that cause the problem with bringing up winRE?

Back
Top Bottom