Budget PC Sub $500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being as your on a budget, and this is not a gaming system, get either a GeForce4 MX graphics card or a GeForce FX 5200.

Here is a budget PC that would perform very well:

CPU- AMD Athlon XP 2700+Â…$99
Motherboard- Biostar M7NCD ProÂ…$54.50
RAM- 512 MB PC 3200 Kingston DDRÂ…$77.80
Hard Drive- Western Digital 80 GB IDE 7200 RPM Â…$58
Video Card- eVGA GeForce4 MX440-8XÂ…$47.50
Optical Drive- Samsung 52x32x52x16 DVD/CD-RW ComboÂ…$38
Case- Antec w/ 350W psuÂ…$65
Floppy- Sony Floppy...$6.50

That comes to a total price of $446.30, plus shipping. That should be well within your price range, and would actually perform very well for the money. What do you think of it?

Everyone, he should not use a Socket A processor. Be as it may, he will buy a laptop once he gets more money, but that isn't any reason why he shouldn't get an upgradable platform. My setup is better and as soon as I change out components, my setup will be better. That motherboard has an AGP and a PCIe slot so there will be no problem for future upgradability if he buys an AGP graphics card.

Megadeth2 said:
Everyone, he should not use a Socket A processor. Be as it may, he will buy a laptop once he gets more money, but that isn't any reason why he shouldn't get an upgradable platform. My setup is better and as soon as I change out components, my setup will be better. That motherboard has an AGP and a PCIe slot so there will be no problem for future upgradability if he buys an AGP graphics card.

I am not going to upgrade this machine, (other then possibly ram or a video card) although it would be wiser to get an upgradeable one. Right now I'm running on a 3 year old dell, and I'm just dandy, 256mb ram, 18gb hard disk, 897mghz Celeron processor.

So imagine the jump this new machine will be.

Dude, look at the system I posted. It's well within your price range, and the AMD Athlon XP 2700+ will definitely outperform the Celeron D, and my suggestion is nearly $100 cheaper.

Yeah, Pizzathehut06
I really like your suggestion for the video card and the mother board had decent reviews on new egg, other then they said it came with little documentation; witch isnÂ’t going to help a first time builder like me. The 2700+ sounds nice too.

The optical drive I already decided on is a little cheaper then the one you suggested. I found a nice Antec case with a 350 PSU for $60.

Your suggestion is the most practical so far.

Alright, get the Athlon XP, but I will add this one last comment. If you are going to get an Athlon XP, then the XP-M should be your choice because it is the better overclocker and you should try overclocking. Look at Nubius, he has his 2400+ running at 2.7 GHz and that is great.

Oh, the Athlon XP isn't a very good processor, at least the Barton aren't since they don't match up to their performance ratings. The TBreds and older XPs do. The 2700+ will outperform a Celeron D, but I still will not recommend because I value upgradability. I buy a computer once every three or four years. In the meantime I upgrade as my needs require. For example, take my Pentium 4 Socket 423, I upgraded that to the max and I had 1 GB RDRAM in there and a GeForce FX 5950. If I would've bought a new system every year , I wouldn't be talking to you right now.

Contact Nubius, he will be able to help you better with AMD XPs since he is more educated in AMD than I am and most of the people who use AMDs are using the Athlon 64s not the XPs.

I still have yet to find a motherboard that is great for a first time builder, and one that people havn't had huge problems with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom