making a hardware firewall/router. Can i give it wireless broadcasting?

This:

Except the machine being built does everything, meaning the router capabilities are moot. Anything NOT with DDWRT even if disabled leaves some things on. A good DDWRT firmware means you can get DHCP from the source, bridge the WAN/LAN with the wifi, and truly have a wireless "extension" from the machine he wants. That's why I said wireless extender because they are easier to just bypass everything without the need for DDWRT.

Im ok with a little bit of a challenge :lol:

Well you can relay it to the machine for DHCP source and WAN/LAN without the wifi and do it as an extension.
But the point of this topic was to add wifi capabilities to his routing/firewall machine. Adding a wireless router without the ability to disable everything will just add a subnet and cause the need to forward all ports. What I'm suggesting minimizes the workload on the router making it all done on the server without the need for the user to worry if something is still enabled. For instance, a lot of routers can be hacked via WPS and if you turn it off on some (like my E4200) it still stays enabled. If you disable the firewall on the router on some routers it stays enabled.
So all I was suggesting was two easy "proper" ways of adding wireless to his server without being bottlenecked by a single user device like a wireless card. The easiest IMO would be to use an extender which doesn't carry the same abilities as a router and some can be flashed so they are basically "dead" unless told otherwise by the user. DDWRT on some actual routers do this too, like the WRT54G.

Most routers let you actually turn everything off, and if you don't hook the server upto the WAN side of it, and just the LAN side is connected, you don't have to worry about ports/firewalling being on the cheaper routers...

Most routers let you actually turn everything off, and if you don't hook the server upto the WAN side of it, and just the LAN side is connected, you don't have to worry about ports/firewalling being on the cheaper routers...

90-99% of stock firmware routers wont allow you to bridge LAN to Wifi to simply make a wireless AP using the server to do everything.

Back
Top Bottom