PSU not grounded- shocking!

Jayteescout

In Runtime
So my computer works fine, but just today I touched the back of the PSU and felt that weird sensation like when you pull out a strip of joke gum, but less intense.

I immediatly shut down my computer and turned off the PSU, which stopped it. I assume its a grounding issue, but can't be sure. Any tips as to what to do from here?

Edit: ok I misspoke, its not the psu, its actually the metal on the case right next to the psu. The psu doesn't give off any charge.

Last edited:
Well I just checked and every connection from the outlet to the power strip to the computers power cable is grounded :/ not sure what to do now

All your AC plugs are 3 prongs?

If any of the AC plugs are 2 prongs reverse it in the socket provided that it's not polarized (one prong wider than other).

Have you tried completely draining all power from the computer? Then trying to restart it to see if it is still producing the same result?

All your AC plugs are 3 prongs?

If any of the AC plugs are 2 prongs reverse it in the socket provided that it's not polarized (one prong wider than other).
Yes every connection is properly grounded. I used one of those tools with 2 prongs and a light to see if the outlet is set up right. It all worked but when I tested the grounded wire the light was only about half as bright, not sure if that means anything.

Have you tried completely draining all power from the computer? Then trying to restart it to see if it is still producing the same result?
How would I do that? I did shut down the computer, turn off and unplugged the power supply.

While I am new to pc repair, I have a lot of expierence as an electrician. This isn't too uncommon in other electrical devices. I am betting its your power supply. A tiny wire probably got a bit too hot and broke and is against the casing, or some insulation may have melted down, enough to let electricity flow to ground, but not enough to trip a shunt or breaker.

While I am new to pc repair, I have a lot of expierence as an electrician. This isn't too uncommon in other electrical devices. I am betting its your power supply. A tiny wire probably got a bit too hot and broke and is against the casing, or some insulation may have melted down, enough to let electricity flow to ground, but not enough to trip a shunt or breaker.

So should I look into getting a replacement?

Back
Top Bottom