Server Craze

xMalcom

In Runtime
So I'm thinking about Building a server now. But Just a Small Back Up one no anything major. What i kinda wanna know is what is a good OS to use if im looking to store and access from anywhere.

Many people will recommend specialized software, but not me!
I run Linux Mint on my sever (and a variant of Linux / UNIX on the rest of my computers) with open ssh, ftp, and x11 to the Internet and samba shares for around the house or with a VPN (which I haven't bothered setting up.. Probably won't)

Just Plain Linux mint? and ok I use Windows but i am a fan of linux i have tried before and i think this would help a lot more with the job i wanna try and get

My home server runs on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS (there is no GUI).
I would recommend a Linux installation, Mint works well but you can also install Ubuntu if you feel more comfortable (doesn't have to be server edition).
Depending on how you want to set up your backup, you will want Samba shares and SSH (with keys).
That way you can automate the whole thing.
If you are interested in going the Linux route, I recommend checking out Jayce's tutorial for his home server in the Linux section. Really interesting read, very detailed.

EDIT: Here is the link, it is mostly for the installation of Rsync and SSH to do the actual copying but it will give you a great starting point. (props to Jayce)
http://www.techist.com/forums/f43/how-back-up-your-data-using-rsync-ssh-255547/

Last edited:
It does indeed.
Before the whole Linux home server thing, I had Windows 7 with shares.
And I did backups of my user profile using a robocopy task in the task scheduler.

Depending on the application/users I use either WIndows or DC++. To transfer over the net we use Hamachi as it's stupid easy with Windows file sharing.

Back
Top Bottom