Help -- LAG --

saveaux

Solid State Member
Hello all, and PP Mquire especially.

I have an older motherboard that cannot be upgraded much more and need advise on how to get rid of lag.

Current game: Guild Wars 2 - I am averaging 10-12 fps

Current setup:

Windows XP - (Windows 7 Pro should come in the mail in a week)

1 ULT31841 Ultra / V-Series / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA Ready / Power Supply
MPN: ULT31841

ABIT KN8 NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express x16 / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID
MPN: KN8

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.21ghz

GPU - 8800 GT 512mb PCI-E x16

4GB RAM

IDE Hard Drive

Wireless G net card, WIreless N router, 25mbps X-Finity connection

My monitor:
• LCD Technology - The VIZIO VO22L has significantly less reflection and glare which makes this television ideal in any room lighting situations.
• High Definition Television - the VO22L offers HD formats and an integrated standard and high definition NTSC/ATSC/clear QAM digital tuner including 1080i and 720P. This will give you the full ability to enjoy the high definition content offered by your satellite and cable providers.
• 5ms Response Time - Vizio LCD HDTVs have super fast LCD response times allowing for faster refresh rates while maximizing clarity in quick action scenes.
• Designed for Maximum Versatility - VIZIO's VO22L LCD HDTV is equipped with a wide range of input and interfaces. From the first industry supported all digital AV interface, the HDMI connector, to the PC-input, and the YPbPr Connectors, we have it all. Just plug it in.

1) Do you think that going to Windows 7 will increase the FPS to a playable rate without any more upgrades? (most ideal scenario)

2) Is my tv/monitor holding me back?

3) Sun Microsystems V40z - Sun Microsystems SunFire V40z 4 x 2.6GHz AMD Opteron 16GB RAM
Would this be my cheapest foundation to build a new PC with? Can it even be done? Would my graphic's card work? Would Windows 7 Pro work?

4) Would this be a better route? AMD FX 8120 Eight Core CPU 16GB DDR3 RAM ASRock SATA6 USB3 DVI AM3 Motherboard | eBay

5) This? Desktop PC - Phenom II X2 555 3.2Ghz 500gb Radeon HD 6gb DDR3 Memory

6) Theres so many to choose between =( Dell Computer Fast Intel E8200 Dual Core, HDD 750GB, Memory 6GB - New

There are SO many options out there that I seriously need yalls expertise as I am dabbling in something that is not my forte. ANY help will most certainly be appreciated. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

1. Yes unless you are running XP 64bit. If you're running a 32bit copy of XP then you aren't able to utilize all 4GB properly. Windows 7 sometimes runs better than XP due to better resource management.

2. Not really. It's not 1080p therefor you can't run 1080pw which your graphics card holds back greatly.

3. No.

4. 5 and 6. Good starts, but your 8800GT would hold you back bad.

Out of all listed, 4 is the best platform to start with but IMO if you want to upgrade the whole rig you should build custom.

Back
Top Bottom