Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 & FX-6100 BSOD

What bios version? To me, it sounds like you might have an issue with your chip. Then again, that Gigabyte board isn't the greatest either. It's a toss up.

What bios version? To me, it sounds like you might have an issue with your chip. Then again, that Gigabyte board isn't the greatest either. It's a toss up.

The bios is current, and I have to diagree about the motherboard (in general) it has the best ratings I think I have ever seen on Newegg.

Newegg ratings are as unreliable as game review and site ratings. It's a cheap board that supports cheap FX chips and get the job done. 55 reviews at 4 eggs isn't that many either.

This board is 10 bucks more expensive with 253 reviews and 4 eggs.
MSI 970A-G46 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

Like I said though, Newegg ratings aren't worth squat as any John Doe without a lick of PC knowledge can post a review and rate as they please.

The board is an exceptionally cheap board with a very low end chipset that wasn't purpose built for the FX series. (The Phenom 2 DDR2 chips were top when the 700 series chipset came out)
That could cause problems, but considering it gives you issues with the Asus board as well I'm leaning more towards the chip.

Newegg ratings are as unreliable as game review and site ratings. It's a cheap board that supports cheap FX chips and get the job done. 55 reviews at 4 eggs isn't that many either.

This board is 10 bucks more expensive with 253 reviews and 4 eggs.
MSI 970A-G46 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

Like I said though, Newegg ratings aren't worth squat as any John Doe without a lick of PC knowledge can post a review and rate as they please.

The board is an exceptionally cheap board with a very low end chipset that wasn't purpose built for the FX series. (The Phenom 2 DDR2 chips were top when the 700 series chipset came out)
That could cause problems, but considering it gives you issues with the Asus board as well I'm leaning more towards the chip.

I usually look first at 1 star ratings, 7% vs 17%, but I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I did another clean install and it crashed again. I am going to verify the cpu works with my other AM3+ motherboard and send this one back. I guess what is irritating is I keep getting "don't use FX CPUs with 760 chipsets" responces, but there isn't single instance of this motherboard no being compatible with this CPU (or any other FX CPU) that I could find, and it, along with all other FX CPUs are listed in the compatible CPU list. The problem isn't compatibly, it is something wrong with either the CPU or MB. I haven't tried to overclock it or anything yet.

Also, part of the reason I got that board is it has IDE capability for my IDE DVD and CD drives, now I would have to spend $20 more dollars on either a SATA DVD drive or PCI/IDe card. Getting ****ed off having to spend more money every time I turn around.

Last edited:
Whatever floats your boat, but I know better. Over half the posts on Newegg are retard butmadds that don't know the difference between a CPU and their HDD. When the 700 series chipset boards came out I reviewed a whole load of them on Bjorn3d from MSI to Asus to Gigabyte from one end to the other. All of that was in 2009 to give you an idea of the age of this chipset, and Bulldozer (FX) was still a pipe dream.

I never once said it wasn't compatible. Compatibility is only limited by the support of the bios and the hardware limitations of the socket/chipset. It doesn't change the fact that it's an extremely old and budget chipset, on an extremely budget board, made to support newer CPUs only by a rewrite in the bios. I recall having this same discussion with another user that has a Phenom 2 X6 on the same board. Also doesn't detest that I said I still think it's the CPU itself since you have the same problems on another board.

Originally it worked fine in the Asus board, for almost a week. It only started having trouble when I moved it to the Gigabyte, but now when I put it back in the Asus, it is crashing. So the CPU is almost definitely the bad part.

My only concern is could the Gigabyte motherboard have been what damaged the CPU? When I get the CPU replaced, could the Gigabyte motherboard fry another one?

The comment about compatibility wasn't directly aimed at you. I have this question going in 3 different forums, and heard it from a number of people blaming, directly or indirectly, the 760 chipset, it was just getting irritating.

Last edited:
Originally it worked fine in the Asus board, for almost a week. It only started having trouble when I moved it to the Gigabyte, but now when I put it back in the Asus, it is crashing. So the CPU is almost definitely the bad part.

My only concern is could the Gigabyte motherboard have been what damaged the CPU? When I get the CPU replaced, could the Gigabyte motherboard fry another one?

The comment about compatibility wasn't directly aimed at you. I have this question going in 3 different forums, and heard it from a number of people blaming, directly or indirectly, the 760 chipset, it was just getting irritating.
Gotcha.

I would send both back just to be absolutely certain. I have had that happen before so I understand the frustration of "Wtf is killing my junk!".

My only remaining question is, if you put the 955 in the Gigabyte board too, why is it fine but not the FX.

Gotcha.

I would send both back just to be absolutely certain. I have had that happen before so I understand the frustration of "Wtf is killing my junk!".

My only remaining question is, if you put the 955 in the Gigabyte board too, why is it fine but not the FX.

Good question, I actually hadn't thought of that. It is a moot point either way, I already set up to get the FX-6100 replaced and the motherboard returned.

Just want to say Newegg is awesome, I have been buying stuff from them for about 10 years, this is the first trouble I have had with anything. They set up the returns and are paying for shipping and couldn't have been nicer about it.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know what motherboard I end up with and that all is good when I get it all.

I am looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom