A Reverse Crucial?

Tubalkain

Beta member

I imagine most of the folks in here are familiar with crucial.com, and there device for finding RAMs compatible with motherboards.

Does anyone know of a site that does it the other way 'round, that is, you enter the RAM specs and it coughs up a list of mobos able to take said RAMs?

New kid here, looking forward to interesting times.

"No deck hatches to be upside down. No brick ballast to be used. No walnuts to be eaten. No color of blue ever to board."

Tubalkain

Motherboard and DDR3 compatibility issues are almost non-existent on newer boards from 2011 and up. You really have to get some off the wall stuff for two to not match up.

Still practically the same with DDR2. If you have one of the rare DDR3 P45, X38, or X48 boards chances are you are limited to 1333 and a max of 4GB per DIMM.

The thing to know here is the only real differences between RAM is the timings, speed, and the capacity per stick. Theoretically if you set the timings and speed accordingly you can support any stick you want regardless, as long as you aren't surpassing the capacity limit. Even still, motherboards released yesteryear that say they only support a certain amount can sometimes support more than specified. They only marked that because at the time of creation and release they didn't have say, 8GB or 4GB sticks like we have today.

So to answer your original question, no there is no such thing that I'm aware of that you're asking for. Memory compatibility isn't a set in stone issue like CPUs. You have a 90% chance of your memory working in any motherboard as long as you stick within the specifications.

PP Mguire said:
So to answer your original question, no there is no such thing that I'm aware of that you're asking for.

Again, noted.

:Determined:

The hardware I am dealing with is OLD OLD SDRAM/DDR stuff. I don't want to have to throw out serviceable RAM for DDR2/3, as (previously noted in my introduction) cash is sorta scarce around these parts.

So, once again....

Has anyone ELSE heard of a reverse Crucial site?

Tubalkain

No, as PP has answered, there is not... the best you can do is pull up the specs on the motherboard itself (from the company website) and look up they're list of compatible ram to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom