Death to Performance

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone!

Recently I re-acquired internet access. The first thing I did was update all my computers (yes all), and updated my girlfriend's computer as well. However, after I had installed updates (and added an expansion pack) for her Sims 3 game, performance on her machine was decimated. The computer is incredibly slow with any task handed to it, regardless. CPU usage only spikes during gameplay to my knowledge. But the problem is that the lag gets so bad, the game crashes. That, and the entire machine just freezes. I have chalked it down to three possibilities. Very bad malware, ****ty software in general, or a legitimate hardware problem. I've defragged the disk more times than I can count on one hand, cleaned out crapware and such, all that jazz. And performance is still terrible. In fact, it's getting worse. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

I assume you did all the virus/malware scans?

Take a look in the BIOS and look at your temps and voltages.

EDIT: I just have an idea. You can go back to last restore point before the updates and see if it improved.

Last edited:
I'm sure you have thought of this but did you go into msconfig and see what was running at startup. How many things are running in background? What Kind of computer does she have.
If i couldn't resolve it I would try a complete reinstall. If its still bad its probably hardware.

I'm sure you have thought of this but did you go into msconfig and see what was running at startup. How many things are running in background? What Kind of computer does she have.
If i couldn't resolve it I would try a complete reinstall. If its still bad its probably hardware.

Not too many actually. And I couldn't do that because the computer is running a less-than-honorably-acquired copy of windows 7. We've diagnosed the problem anyhow. Old GPU in desperate need of an upgrade. The other stuff was solved with stopping background processes and such.

If it's bootleg OS you can expect problems from it.

99% of the time no. I might get slapped in the head for this, but pirated copies of Windows are usually just copies of the disc. It's the activators that can be loaded.

To Thorax, I avoid any and all Windows updates for this reason. Besides the fact that they actually don't do anything for me.

Back
Top Bottom