Connection of devices inside wireless LAN

bilal.burki

Beta member
Hi,

I want to send data (specifically images) from a mobile device to a server hosted by my HomePC. The mobile device and HomePC are connected to the same router having different private IP address. I dont know how to make connection between these two devices for data transferring using my WIFI. But strictly, i dont want to go outside this LAN, i mean, i want to avoid using global public IP address since both of my devices have private IP address inside network.

Turn off cellular traffic on the mobile device - this way the data only travels over wifi.

Generally speaking devices are set to do this anyways, if you have cellular data on and your wifi, all data transmission goes over wifi first.

thanks for your suggestion :)

But how can i forward data from mobile phone to my PC having a specific private IP address ?

I thought you were on the same network?

Depends on the type of traffic would dictate on how it's handled. If it was a broadcast message your router / switch on the private wifi network would route the traffic to only the device it was intended to go to. If it was a unicast it wouldn't matter because it's only going to one device.

If you are on your own network it wouldn't matter, even broadcast messages are not transmitted outside the local subnet unless you specifically tell your router to do so.

You can share a folder on the network by right clicking it and going to properties -> sharing

You'll need to set the permissions to whatever you think is appropriate (read only or write access)

You'll have NTFS permissions applied to the folders (in the security tab), and then network permissions applied on top of that (in permissions under the sharing tab).

To add to what Apokalipse is saying with both sets of permissions - if you are sitting at the machine NTFS permissions are in force, if you are accessing across the network then the most restrictive access is what gets set.

Back
Top Bottom