Would you be upset at this?

Is it enabled in the bios?

Yes, I have checked that, turned on and off "HD audio" (whatever that is)in the bios also. Windows 7 thinks it is working fine, says there are no problems. I dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu, doesn't work in Ubuntu either. I had a couple comps on my work bench I was building/rebuilding, I hadn't worried about the audio till I put it back in its normal place. Audio almost always works w/o a problem.

I cant find any jumpers on the motherboard that might disable the rear output. I looked in the manual and on the motherboard. The front audio doesn't work either.

Last edited:
Is there any exclamation marks in the device manager? Installed the motherboard audio drivers off the site, or off the Realtek site?

No exclamation in device manager, Windows says all is OK with it. Originally Windows 7 installed drivers, then I tried the drivers from the Asus web site specifically for this MB. Ubuntu also installed drivers and shows no issues, but again, no sound.

It isn't a coincidence that 2 OSes both show drivers loaded and working fine but there is no sound. My guess would be something in the amplifier audio path.

No exclamation in device manager, Windows says all is OK with it. Originally Windows 7 installed drivers, then I tried the drivers from the Asus web site specifically for this MB. Ubuntu also installed drivers and shows no issues, but again, no sound.

Odd. Yup, send that bad boy up.

I would lose it if i received a motherboard packaged like this! I was a seller for a while on ebay and i would have never shipped something even half as poorly as this. im shocked that it even booted!

In the future - Ratings/amount of reviews, Plus, look at the "Neutral" ratings - Its when the ****ed off people get their way but ebay then makes it so your review no longer reflects the seller. Its quite a stupid system... -_-

Why bother to put it in a bag if it's not going to be padded? Make no sense to me.

I would lose it if i received a motherboard packaged like this! I was a seller for a while on ebay and i would have never shipped something even half as poorly as this. im shocked that it even booted!

In the future - Ratings/amount of reviews, Plus, look at the "Neutral" ratings - Its when the ****ed off people get their way but ebay then makes it so your review no longer reflects the seller. Its quite a stupid system... -_-
Yes the new system is over half the reason why I don't use Ebay at all. IMO the new system and Paypal help the scammers and screw the honest people.

Yes the new system is over half the reason why I don't use Ebay at all. IMO the new system and Paypal help the scammers and screw the honest people.

I can understand that, but I have had pretty good luck with mixing Craigslist, Ebay and usually Newegg. You can never find deals on used power supplies, and rarely on used memory, so that I get from Newegg. Video Cards are much cheaper used. If you don't need a $500 video card to get a few more FPS, I look for a bit and find a GTX 460 or 550ti for $50-60, that's about 1/2 what you'd pay for a comparable new 550/560/650 (I like NVidia).

I picked up a 9600 GT for one of the computers I am building for my father, plenty enough for him, for about $17 shipped, comparable to a 630 which runs $70+ new.

Motherboards, I am rethinking. I paid $30 for this used, but for 20 more I could have gotten this well reviewed, better board, new. Not high end, but solid GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Hard drives are good used. I had been getting lots of 80Gig SATA drives for the OS and whatever larger drive for storage. I used to use 40 gig IDE drives for win XP, I now have a lot of extra IDE drives around.

But anyway, thanks for all your thoughts. The seller did refund my money, and I will give him positive feed back for that. I think he may have had a bad day when he shipped it. I know he read this thread and probably won't ship like that again.

Thanks,
Brad

The problem with used video cards is people don't tend to know how to pack properly, or have abused their cards in some form. If I buy any used hardware it is from a PC forum where I know I'm getting an as is product or a well taken care of product. Not guessing whether or not it'll still work when you receive it, much like your motherboard.
A friend of mine recently purchased a 9800GX2 for an older rig of his off Ebay. The girl put it in a bubble wrap envelope and thought that was good enough. The PCI-E pin area was completely snapped off the card when he got it.

As to CL. It depends entirely on the area in question. My area people want too much money for their junk. Some dude right now wants 125 bucks for 2 8800GTX cards. For 60 bucks I can get a 465 that will outdo both stock while consuming less power. When you try to price your own stuff on there according to used market value everybody wants to give you pennies.
In December to cover my bills I put my 3960x and the Intel board I had at the time on CL for 800 bucks. People wanted to give me 500 for 1300 worth of product.

Back
Top Bottom