Bringing Back An Old Dell 3000 for Garage

y2adre

In Runtime
I have an old Dell 3000 running Windows Vista Basic, 768mb ddr ram, and 74gb hhd. I am looking for something that would help accelerate my experience on the machine. It's running a geforce 5200 fx video card. Is it a utility that may help my vista experience a little quicker on xbmc, streaming, watching hd movies etc. Any help appreciated.

Update to Windows 7, or get more RAM. No jokes, I'm being dead serious. Vista with SP2 is still RAM heavy, and with low amounts of RAM it shoves it all on the HDD, which I'm guessing that one is a slow drive at that.

The audio driver they provide on the site is only XP, so if you have a Vista driver you can use it in 7. Or rather I should say, if a Vista driver exists you'll find one for 7. To answer your question, Linux would be good too.

Ive looked up prices for ddr ram and to upgrade the ram is like 20.00. I rather not spend the money or time for a dell 3000 for my workout area in the garage. I can use samba to network it thru ubuntu right? Would you say 12.04 or 12.10 Ubuntu is better

Ive looked up prices for ddr ram and to upgrade the ram is like 20.00. I rather not spend the money or time for a dell 3000 for my workout area in the garage. I can use samba to network it thru ubuntu right? Would you say 12.04 or 12.10 Ubuntu is better
I can't answer that question as I don't have much experience with Ubuntu. Since they are free, I would just experiment with either you may feel comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom