Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not much?

And for the 800mhz fsb, thats still not much improvment over games (compared P4 with AMD Barton 3000+) and the hyperthread only works for apps not games

so going from 400 mhz fsb (athlons) to 800 mhz fsb (new pentium 4) isnt a big deal?! thats double, 2X, TWICE the speed! it is a very big deal, once a test of the athlon vs new p4 chip is run the p4 will blow it away and the hyperthreading works with games THAT SUPPORT IT a game is nothing but an app, run in full screen, it makes no sense that it wouldnt work with games, they just dont all support it, like apps dont all support it

but do you know how much of a pain it is making a game that is compatible to work with the hyperthreading technology (all the big games: Half life 2, Doom 3, Thief 3, Deus Ex 2, etc dont support it because coding a game like that is completely different than coding an app)? Why don't you read an interview in a gaming mag for once dethangel. Also the whole FSB being double the performance is almost as lame as someone thinking a P4 2.2ghz performs better than a Barton 3000+ which is 2.17ghz

For your requirements on what software it should have, I must say that an $900 dollar computer is not going to give you the same advantages as a more expensive computer. Also, photoshop and graphics apps have never been known to run well on PCs. Some people have been known to get lucky and have no problems save for mysterious disappearances and strange cursors.

I suggest you think about opting for an eMac, Apple's most affordable G4 based all-in-one.

For more info on all eMac Models, go to

www.apple.com/emac

Thanks for your time

ridiculous huh?

the arguement that an 800MHz fsb is not faster than a 400MHz fsb is as ridiculous as saying a 1.0GHz barton is faster than a 2.0GHz P4 lmao

and this is just funny:

I suggest you think about opting for an eMac, Apple's most affordable G4 based all-in-one.

I'm not saying the 800mhz FSB is not faster than the 400mhz FSB, read my post.... you were implying that a double FSB was equivalent to doubling the speed and i was showing how that isnt always the case. Next time read my post properly. For an increase of 4% performance for $400 more intel is ripping most people off..... the Barton 3000+ is nearly on par with the P4 3.06 ghz with the FSB at 800mhz.... It's one thing to spend $400 more fo that 4% of performance...it's another thing to think that 800mhz FSB is twice as fast as 400mhz when considering 2 different processors and motherboard chipsets. As i said before next time you reply read my post properly before making yourself look like an idiot.

I would just like to add that in my opinion AMD is far superior to Pentium. They are much faster and much cheaper.

i realize

that some of the amd processors are faster than the older p4 chips,

HOWEVER

there is a new p4 chipset which has an 800 mhz fsb compared to the amds fastest fsb of 400mhz, these are real numbers, not just opinions, that alone is enought to make the p4 run much, much faster than an amd

BUT

the new p4 chipsets also utilize 400mhz ddr ram, which is currently the fastest ddr on the market, the amds utilize the older, once again slower 333 mhz ddr, so if youre talking about pure speed, the p4 is faster, you cannot argue with numbers

Also the whole FSB being double the performance is almost as lame as someone thinking a P4 2.2ghz performs better than a Barton 3000+ which is 2.17ghz

ahh, but we are not talking an increase in processor speed of only 30 mhz, which is only a 2% increase, no we are talking about an fsb increase of 200% and no, the computer is not TWICE as fast, the fsb is TWICE as fast, now who looks like an idiot? pretty hard to argue with numbers huh?

i think this is an endless debate....there is no basis for comparison since the two chips are so different from one another...and we are digressing from the topic of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom