Trying to build a NAS

Djonemore

Beta member
Hey everybody, my name is Matt; first time poster on this forum. My home is increasing in devices, and with a large collection on music, photos, and videos... It's not easy to keep track of what device has this, or that.

In my media room, I have a budget rig hooked up to my 55in TV, I stored everything on this machine, and from my laptops and desktops in other rooms I just setup a network share through the router, works OK, but the transfer speeds are very slow, and sometimes It even difficult to stream a music/video file..

My question is, what can I do to set this main computer up to host all my files, with faster transfer speeds, as well as remote access (Cloud?) when I'm not on my home network?

Media room PC setup:
Core-2-Duo 2.8
4GB dual channel 667MHz ram
two 2tb drives setup raid 1
Win7 Ult X64

My router is the standard issue provided by Verizon FiOS
https://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=189#.UXIiWrXvs3Y

Any help would be much appreciated!

VPN + Samba or FTP for remote access

As for internal speeds.. how are you accessing the files? Is the server wired or wireless? If wireless, what standard? (802.11n/a/b/g?)

What happened to my post that was on this thread? I replied to it last night.

OP, are you connected to the router with all PCs via ethernet or wifi?

Also, I would turn around and RAID 0 those drives for faster performance.

VPN + Samba or FTP for remote access

As for internal speeds.. how are you accessing the files? Is the server wired or wireless? If wireless, what standard? (802.11n/a/b/g?)

What happened to my post that was on this thread? I replied to it last night.

OP, are you connected to the router with all PCs via ethernet or wifi?

Also, I would turn around and RAID 0 those drives for faster performance.

The media room computer which I store everything on, is hardwired directly into the router, which is a b/g standard.. The other devices are wireless. I access the files right through windows explorer under 'network' tab, all computers run Windows 7.

Back
Top Bottom