Is this processor compatible with this motherboard?

tjhamstar

Baseband Member
Hello all,

As you can probably tell by the title, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to computer hardware. I'm recently looking to have a gaming pc built for me, well my friend is going to help me provided I can purchase the parts needed. So I'm looking into processors and motherboards (not really knowing what is good or not). Hopefully, I can get some feedback here guiding me in the right direction if I'm not already headed that way. I appreciate any and all feedback, suggestions, etc. Thank you.

Processor:

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX - Newegg.com

Motherboard:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9BDB14/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Alternate choice for Motherboard (although I'd prefer to purchase the cheaper one if it will work out for me):

Amazon.com: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard: Computers & Accessories

Yes they are compatible, but if you have that kind of cash to spend I suggest going with the 3570k instead. Matter a fact, why don't you lay a budget down so we can get you a build going to make sure you get acceptable and quality parts for a gaming PC.

Well here's where I'm at right now. I'll just lay the parts down that I already have selected and I'm certainly open to suggestions and feedback in regards to these parts..

My budget is around $600...think I've kind of went over this by now

Case (already purchased):
Amazon.com: Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower Computer Case with All-Black Interior RC-430-KWN1-AMZ: Computers & Accessories 49.99

Processor(originally purchased the 8320 but returned and intend to purchase 8350):
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX - Newegg.com 199.99
(I was told this processor is just as good if not better than any i5 I could buy, that's the reason i selected this.)

Memory (already purchased):
Amazon.com: Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 Desktop Memory KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G: Computers & Accessories 103

Motherboard:
Amazon.com: MSI Computer Corp. Socket AM3+ AMD 970 DDR3 SATA3 and USB 3.0 A&GbE ATX Motherboard 970A-G43: Computers & Accessories 69.99

or

Amazon.com: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard: Computers & Accessories 85.99

Video Card:
Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR: Computers & Accessories 199.99

Hard Drive:
Amazon.com: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive: Electronics 90

Plus after all this I plan on buying this monitor...

Amazon.com: Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit Monitor: Computers & Accessories

Which is why I want to save money where I can on some of these parts.

Last edited:
Another reason I went with the AMD is because a lot of the motherboards for intel processors seemed to be more money than the motherboards for AMD processors.

Intel motherboards have practically all the same features from the 50 dollar ones to the 400 dollar ones (minus enthusiast options). The thing is, cycles per clock is where it's at for games. That is where AMD lacks.

You need a few more things besides what you have listed. You need an optical drive and an OS, plus you need a PSU. I also suggest using Newegg instead of Amazon as their selection is better.

You don't need 16GB of RAM for a budget gaming build, so drop that down to 8GB of 1600. That will lower the price 40-50 bucks right there.

Yeah, I failed to mention...I have a relatively new psu, cooler master 600w from my current computer that is outdated and not in operation right now. Also, have the optical drive out of it to use until I get a blu ray drive. My buddy said he may have a copy of windows 7 I can use but still may look into purchasing a oem copy of my own. Maybe I'll take a second look at Intel, this would primarily be a gaming rig. What about the other parts, look good so far?

Is his key unused? If it's a legit copy and the key has been used you can't run it on your rig and his.

Without a HDD, you can fit a 660ti. With the HDD, 660.

If you get an i5 3330 and B75 board it'll perform in games similar, but later on with the B75 you can upgrade to an i7 3770k or 3570k which is better than the 8350. In June the new set of Intel CPUs are going to be released and then the IB prices will drop. If you're up for going that route and getting a cheap i7 later then I would grab the i5 3330 setup. If you don't want any upgrade options then stick with the 8350 as it's a capable processor still.

Yeah, I'm not sure if his is a legit copy or not. In any case, I think I'm probably going to buy myself a copy, which is another expense but it's not too bad for Windows 7. I think I'll be good with the 660 and I'll probably look at the i5 and a motherboard that isn't too expensive and compare them with the processor and motherboard I'm currently looking at. I just want to have a computer that I won't have to upgrade in the very near future. I know, eventually, that I'm going to want to upgrade but I'd like for the system I build to last a little while.

If you're gaming both the i5 3330 and FX8350 will last quite a while. The #1 thing that should get upgraded within the next 3 years will be the GPU. If you go with the i5, just get a B75 board (chipset). You can get an ASRock B75 board for 50 and 60 bucks which is rather cheap compared to decent AMD boards.

Okay, so in your opinion....for gaming you think I should consider getting an i5 instead of the AMD processor?

Back
Top Bottom