New Computer Build

xerolen

In Runtime
So my little brother has saved up $500 for a new computer. He has a monitor, Keyboard and mouse but he wants a custom built PC. What is the most bang for the buck you can get for $500? He will be playing high end games with this so if we could factor in a graphics card that would be great.

PreReqs:

1. 8Gb Ram and expandable to 32 gb at the least over 4 sticks.
2. I am giving him one of my 2tb HDDs so we don't need to worry about that.
3. Graphics card must be able to seamlessly play RAGE as I have gotten him addicted to it.
4. He wants to be able to go SLI or Crossfire later on if possible.
5. Graphics can be NVIDIA or ATI.
6. CPU can be INTEL or AMD.
7. CPU must be quad core or better.

Just so everyone knows this is an actual list he wrote up for me. Just putting it online since he doesn't have a computer anymore thanks to a power short.

Also the cooling won't matter as I told him if it ends up running a little too hot I would help him liquid cool the CPU and if need be the GPU.

You're not going to have a very good GPU unless you go with a powerful dual core or exceptionally weak quad.

SLI/Crossfire is a waste with lower end cards. Also requires bigger PSUs which ups the budget higher. I suggest if he really wants to toy with that stuff to save more money, or wait until he can afford higher end gear. Just my opinion.

Does he require a copy of Windows as well?

No my dad said he'd buy him one if he can get the rest. I'll talk to him about the quad vs dual but for now we can work with just a dual and I might help him out to get to a quad. Can we do an intel build and an AMD build?

And the Crossfire/SLI was only meant that he was looking for a mobo that can do it not the PSU. That he says he'll upgrade later if he decides to go with multiple GPUs.

500 bucks isn't much to work with, just so you know. Very limiting, cause we're talking low end GPU and CPU due to needing the other components.

With everything but a GPU and HDD I'm at 330.

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
ASRock 970 EXTREME3 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
Newegg.com - Team Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Red Heat Spreader) Model TDRD38G1600HC9DC01

GPU:
ASUS HD7770-2GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

PSU:
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST250DM001 / HD253GJ Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Case:
GIGABYTE gz-KXA Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Optical:
LITE-ON Model iHAS124-04 DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

Honestly, if he has any way of making money over the summer I suggest he do that. Save up at least 700 bucks. Haswell hits June and that will drop IB prices further. He can spend at least 200 on a GPU which will get a 660.

Edit: I was speaking in terms of motherboard price as well. A board that properly supports both SLI and Crossfire 8/8 will cost at least 100 bucks on either platform. As you can see, we are skimping already just to have decent graphics and CPU. At least with the Extreme 3 he can upgrade to an FX if he so desires, even though I don't recommend that. I was also referring to the future too though. A good PSU that can handle a couple of good cards will cost over 100 bucks.

Last edited:
Woops forgot to mention this but he doesn't need an optical drive. -_-;
I have an extra I'm giving him.

Back
Top Bottom