Dedicated Virtual Ram enhancement

Pwatters

Beta member
Hey everybody,

I've had my current computer (a Toshiba Satellite P755) for a little over a year now. I've not really had a problem playing games with it before until I recently tried to play the new XCOM game. I used Can you RUN it to see what the problems were. It tells me everything is more than enough to run it except for my dedicated virtual ram. I currently have 64mb free and need 256mb. Using a few youtube videos and looking around I see that all I should have to do is go into my BIOS menu and change it under the chipset options. However, my computer doesn't have a chipset menu in it, and from everything I've read it seems to be that way with most pre made computers. I have more than enough free mb to give to it (1696 free mb to be specific), and what I was hoping is, is there some way to where I can add the chipset function to the BIOS or is there another way to add the virtual ram, or is the only option "run out and buy a better computer?" because the latter is not an option, especially considering the capabilities are built into the computer, it just seems to have a limit placed on it for some reason or another.

If you need any specs or information other than what I gave I can give them, but I figured this would be a pretty simple "yes its possible" or "not it sure isn't" question.

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:
What is the submodel? There is a dash after the P755 that will indicate what your hardware is.

If you are running on the Intel HD graphics, then what they are talking about is RAM dedicated to the IGP (video card). Your GPU shares system RAM for GPU RAM and if there is no option in the bios to up VRAM then you are SOL really. Honestly, I wouldn't bother actually trying to play the game on HD3000/4000.

the model is S5120

The strange thing is, my computer could run Diablo III for example, which requires MORE dedicated memory and other features than the current one does. I don't mind if the game is slow or laggy, I just want to see it running because at this point its more the fact my hardware has the capability but is limited by the manufacturer. I just can't imagine that there isn't some option to change what's there or to remove the block the manufacturers have put on it.

VRAM requirements aren't set in stone, as you can require more VRAM but still utilize what you have. According to their system requirements, you don't exactly meet the required GPU specifications.
Lower budget games also are usually poorly optimized vs huge AAA tiles.

As for the last comment, that is the price you pay (no offense) when buying a laptop or pre-built PC. That laptop isn't a gaming laptop in the least, and I'm surprised you can actually play Diablo 3 on it.

Yeah, I didn't buy it myself, my mom got it for me when I left for college. I've normally either bought my own or had help building my own and never had a problem with needed to change things in the BIOS or anywhere else. It just boggles my mind how terrible a company would be to build a computer with the capabilities to do something and then limit it as well without even the option to remove it, like Ford building a car with 500 horsepower and then only making you able to use 300 of it...

Thanks anyway, guess I'll just have to save up and get another computer if there isn't even the ability to open it up and fix it or download something to "jailbreak it" like a droid or iphone to open the cabapilities up.

Yeah, I didn't buy it myself, my mom got it for me when I left for college. I've normally either bought my own or had help building my own and never had a problem with needed to change things in the BIOS or anywhere else. It just boggles my mind how terrible a company would be to build a computer with the capabilities to do something and then limit it as well without even the option to remove it, like Ford building a car with 500 horsepower and then only making you able to use 300 of it...

Thanks anyway, guess I'll just have to save up and get another computer if there isn't even the ability to open it up and fix it or download something to "jailbreak it" like a droid or iphone to open the cabapilities up.
That's the whole deal with pre-builts, and unfortunately laptops. They limit their lower end models to make you think twice or replace it with a higher end model. That same laptop has a model that comes with a GT650m and 1GB dedicated VRAM. It would limit sales of the upper model if the lower end one can do the same (even though the HD3000 is less powerful than the 650 by a good margin).

Back
Top Bottom