Is it worth it to upgrade?

cyclones

In Runtime
Hey all, I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop running with a Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU @ 2.00GHz, 3GB Ram, and a 500GB hard drive. I just purchased a 125GB Samsung Pro SSD drive to replace my current drive. I was also thinking of upgrading the memory to 4GB total. With these two upgrades, will I see a significant increase in speed? Or is it not worth it to upgrade this kind of laptop? Any help is always great.
Thanks

going from 3 to 4 GB not really and you will see a slight improvement with the SSD but I would suggest going a bit farther than 4 GB something closer to 6-8Gb to see any real improvement with that model. How fast is your 500 GB HDD and what size Cache does it have? Also What OS is installed? XP, Vista, 7, or 8?

You'll see a huge improvement with the ssd but the ram no. I suggest saving the cash for a better setup and toss the ssd in that.

With 4GB of ram you'll need a 64 bit OS too.

Currently, I am running Windows 7 x64 and plan to run that on the SSD as well. The hard drive is a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive that is currently being used. I guess it wouldnt hurt to add another 1GB stick to equal 4GB for ram?

If you're getting it free or real cheap, nah wouldn't hurt.

The SSD will be a huge improvement over the HDD. Due to the bus limitations (assuming you meant 840pro which is SATA3) you won't notice a huge difference right off the bat, but to some that difference is subjective.

If you want to see the difference between a HDD and slower SSD than yours, here is a good way to see it.

SSD vs. HDD Performance Comparison - YouTube

His HDD is an SSD and a HDD hybrid. So there will be a difference but not as large from an SSD to a regular HDD.

Yeah I got the laptop for free.. My buddy got a Macbook Pro and I told him I could use a laptop so he gave it to me for free. I'm gonna be using it for when I go back to school in August, but I won't be putting alot of data on it.. just mainly programs to run.

Back
Top Bottom