Headset only works when plugged in through keyboard

Masonator27

Beta member
Hey all,

My headset doesn't work at all when I plug it into the rear or front USB ports on my computer. Strangely enough, it works fine when I plug it into the USB port on my keyboard. It's not a problem with the ports on my motherboard -- everything else I plug into them works perfectly. I know my headset is receiving power when plugged into those ports because the lights on the volume selector switch on, and it's being detected by the system and shows up in the sound panel and everything. For some reason, though, it just does not play any sound through the headphones and won't transmit out of the microphone. Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

-Mason

Hey all,

My headset doesn't work at all when I plug it into the rear or front USB ports on my computer. Strangely enough, it works fine when I plug it into the USB port on my keyboard. It's not a problem with the ports on my motherboard -- everything else I plug into them works perfectly. I know my headset is receiving power when plugged into those ports because the lights on the volume selector switch on, and it's being detected by the system and shows up in the sound panel and everything. For some reason, though, it just does not play any sound through the headphones and won't transmit out of the microphone. Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

-Mason

What type of sound card do you have and which product is it ?

Hey,

I don't have a dedicated sound card -- I just use whatever comes integrated on my motherboard, which is an ASUS Sabertooth P67. The headset I'm using is a Razer Megalodon, up to date with the latest firmware. IIRC it worked fine on my earlier computer, but not with this newer one.

Hey,

I don't have a dedicated sound card -- I just use whatever comes integrated on my motherboard, which is an ASUS Sabertooth P67. The headset I'm using is a Razer Megalodon, up to date with the latest firmware. IIRC it worked fine on my earlier computer, but not with this newer one.

Ok I noticed this headset is usb powered, when you installed it did use the drivers it came with or tried newer ones ?
If it shows up in controlpanel/sound management, enable listen to this device.
Make it the default device for listening and speaking, since you will do gaming and dictating if any.
If all goes well, you should see a green bar blinking on the control panels volume meter.
Snap your fingers to it to make sure it receives sound.
Since you use a realtek audio onboard sound, in its suite panel change the sound enevironement to 2.1 sterero only.
Click ok inside of the suite and close, try playing a music file.

It should work after that, if not and you tried what I said, it could be your sound card drivers are out of date.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rea...09,d.eWU&fp=d78f862414922e23&biw=1280&bih=859
Click this link and click the official realtek audio link.
I would link your directly but my internet is screwing up again and I'm about to migrate to windows 8 during the next 24 hours.

Post back if you need more help, if I don't get back with you someone else will finish up with you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom