Which Hard Drive to buy!?

tjhamstar

Baseband Member
Okay so a friend of mine offered to help me build myself a computer if I was able to get the parts together. I'm trying to not spend a ton of money and I'm down to a few last parts I need to buy. The last big one is the hard drive. He believes I should buy one of these VelociRaptor Hard Drives. I was looking at just a regular WD Blue Hard Drive. Both would be 1 TB and this is going to be a gaming pc. The VelociRaptor is over $200 while the WB Blue I can get for around $70. I assume the 10,000 rpm is much better than the 7,200 rpm but is it really worth spending that much more money on a hard drive? I'm not exactly what you would call computer savvy so I don't know how this all works together. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WD Blue
http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

WD VelociRaptor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236243

Last edited:
Definitely not worth the extra money for a VelociRaptor. Look into SSD's if you want speed.

Thanks for the input. I guess my lasting thought is, would I be alright just with the WD Blue? I'm already spending more on a video card and processor than I originally wanted to so any money I can save at this point is definitely a plus.

Definitely nothing wrong with it. 90% of my games are on a hard drive (Seagate 7200rpm) while my OS / main apps are on an SSD.

The Black with 64MB of cache is worth the money if this will be the only drive in your machine. It rivals the expensive (and dumb) raptor in speed and consistency. Just remember, that no drive of any speed will have the latency and quickness of an SSD.

Well for now I plan on using it as the main drive. I think maybe in the future I might add a second one for data or whatever. Not really sure though, I think 1 TB is going to be plenty for all of my needs, including gaming. Might not even need a second, this is my first time having a computer built custom for me so just trying to make it as good of a pc as possible.

Wow, yeah definitely blows the HDD away. I would love to get one but there's no way I'm spending that much on a hard drive right now. Maybe in the future but for now I'm just gonna stick with the Western Digital. Thanks for that though, very cool video!

Back
Top Bottom