Does my build look ok? Any feedback is helpful

Jayteescout

In Runtime
I'm building my first computer and just want to run it by the all knowing collective intelligence of the internet first. Does everything look ok? Am I forgetting a crucial component or is there anything that would cause bottlenecking or anything that would clash with something else? Here are all the component I am planning to buy from newegg:

• 1T hard drive
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

• GeForce GTX 650
EVGA SSC 01G-P4-3652-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

• Optical Drive
LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

• x4 3GHz CPU,
• Micro ATX motherboard,
• Micro ATX case with 585w power supply,
• 4Gs of RAM
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

• 4 more Gs of RAM
CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

• And of course, the OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

I'm building my first computer and just want to run it by the all knowing collective intelligence of the internet first. Does everything look ok? Am I forgetting a crucial component or is there anything that would cause bottlenecking or anything that would clash with something else? Here are all the component I am planning to buy from newegg:

• 1T hard drive
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

• GeForce GTX 650
EVGA SSC 01G-P4-3652-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

• Optical Drive

• x4 3GHz CPU,
• Micro ATX motherboard,
• 4Gs of RAM
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

• 4 more Gs of RAM
CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

• And of course, the OS

Not bad man but I have to disagree with a few things.
That case, do you know what kind of psu your getting and will it be reliable ?
The cpu, yes its athlon and a good one at that but you can do better if your willing to chip in a extra few bucks.
The hard drive its alright but I have western digital in mind.
The ram... "no" save yourself 10 bucks or more and go for something different.
I know you wanted a blac case, how about a zalman mostly steel ? :D

The motherboard I looked at it, if you want to get it its your choice but I have a bad feeling on that one.
Look at my choice and ignore the reviews, I have one in my computer right now.
Even though it underclocked my memory to 1333, it still plays like a beast and oc's much higher.

With all that said, I rather you choose a different prebuilt one or build one from the ground up.
It won't take you about 1 hour to ut everything toegther correctly.
If you need help come back and post here before jamming a screw into the wrong place. :/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996

MSI 760GM-P34(FX) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX - Newegg.com

Kingston HyperX Black Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX13C9B1B/4 - Newegg.com

Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-550 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Power Supply - Newegg.com

ZALMAN Z5 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

EVGA SSC 01G-P4-3652-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com

Last edited:
Hi there. This is my first time responding to a build so chances are some of the things I say may be incorrect, but here goes. You ask if everything looks okay, but I guess nobody can really answer that considering what you mean by that. For example, it may look okay to a gamer, but not to a different user, etc. What will you be doing on the computer?

Personally, I'll never go with bundles. They tend to have one really good part, and others are crap. Or at least that's all I can find. So if I was you, I would just go with an AM3+ Motherboard, and pair with either an APU or an FX series CPU. As for storage, the 1 TB Seagate you originally linked yourself is fine. No need to switch to western digital, after all it's not like there's any benefits. (I assume). Also, don't get a blue drive. I can't explain why.. As I don't really know, and I may be confused with something else, but I'm sure I've seen several bad reviews on colored dives. Corsair XMS3 RAM is okay, match with a Corsair 200r case, Seasonic 520W power supply and I guess all is pukka. (Again I'm assuming, but 79.1% sure)

Last edited:

• 1T hard drive

• GeForce GTX 650

• Optical Drive

• x4 3GHz CPU,
• Micro ATX motherboard,
• 4Gs of RAM

• 4 more Gs of RAM

• And of course, the OS
What is the purpose of this build? The CPU is a bit low end, and so is the GPU for gaming. The PSU in that case is absolutely terrible as well.

I don't want to point you in the wrong direction, which wouldn't be helpful at all. My last post was simply stating, it's low end.

Anyways, what's your budget? The combo is "ok" but I think I can squeeze more for your money.

Not bad man but I have to disagree with a few things.
That case, do you know what kind of psu your getting and will it be reliable ?
The cpu, yes its athlon and a good one at that but you can do better if your willing to chip in a extra few bucks.
The hard drive its alright but I have western digital in mind.
The ram... "no" save yourself 10 bucks or more and go for something different.
I know you wanted a blac case, how about a zalman mostly steel ? :D

The motherboard I looked at it, if you want to get it its your choice but I have a bad feeling on that one.
Look at my choice and ignore the reviews, I have one in my computer right now.
Even though it underclocked my memory to 1333, it still plays like a beast and oc's much higher.

With all that said, I rather you choose a different prebuilt one or build one from the ground up.
It won't take you about 1 hour to ut everything toegther correctly.
If you need help come back and post here before jamming a screw into the wrong place. :/

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX - Newegg.com

MSI 760GM-P34(FX) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX - Newegg.com

Kingston HyperX Black Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX13C9B1B/4 - Newegg.com

Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-550 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Power Supply - Newegg.com

ZALMAN Z5 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

EVGA SSC 01G-P4-3652-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com
Thanks, this was very helpful but what do you mean by save 10 bucks and get something different? Also, will a zalman offer any difference other than color or is that just a preferance? (one that I'm actually concidering btw) :D

Oh and thanks for suggesting a build, didnt even see that!

Last edited:
I don't want to point you in the wrong direction, which wouldn't be helpful at all. My last post was simply stating, it's low end.

Anyways, what's your budget? The combo is "ok" but I think I can squeeze more for your money.
Thank you, my buget is ideally $500 but I could streach to $600. Ik its not much to work with which is quite frusterating but i'm 15 and have no source of income so this is all the money I have in the world :/

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
ASRock 880GM-LE FX Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
Newegg.com - Team Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Red Heat Spreader) Model TDRD38G1600HC9DC01

GPU:
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P4-3655-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card

Case:
GIGABYTE gz-KXA Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

PSU:
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST250DM001 / HD253GJ Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

Optical:
LITE-ON Model iHAS124-04 DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

$600

If you want more HDD space it will be dropping the 650ti Boost to a regular 650ti.

The 965 is much more powerful than the Athlon X4, and is even stronger than the FX4100. I figured this is a good base you can build on because adding a better GPU/PSU will not be limited by the CPU. The only other option is getting something like the Pentium 2120 which has faster cores, but only dual core. That would drop a few bucks off the end price but in the end the 965 is a better buy.

With this setup you're also getting more and faster RAM which AMD setups need as they lack memory bandwidth compared to Intel setups.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom