Upgrading my compaq

cad411

Baseband Member
Hi, I have a compaq presario cq56 and I'm looking to upgrade it. I got it for free from a friend and I had to replace the hard drive. The problem is its only running win7 32bit. I'm looking to upgrade the CPU and graphics. The CPU it currently has in it is an intel celeron 900. Can you tell me what I can use for a CPU that gets the most out of my machine? Also I would like to know how I could upgrade the graphics. Also will the new hard drive affect boot up or will I have to get a boot disk? (I ordered the hdd recently and haven't installed it yet)

This particular laptop isn't really the best out there. The graphics in it are, to my knowledge irreplaceable. That is usually the case. However, I have the same laptop, only my model runs an AMD V140. Do you know the complete model information? Mine is CQ56-115DX. You should be able to see the full model name in the bios.

Just by my experience with this model I would say an ideal cpu upgrade may be an AMD N660. Dual core 3.0 GHz processor. Though in that case is also recommend upgrading the RAM to at least 4GB. 2GB is relatively low for a laptop these days.

First we need to know if it's a laptop or a desktop.
They use CQ56 models for both.
The intel Celeron 900 can also be a laptop cpu, if he forgot the mention the "m" at the end of it.

Edit:
If it is laptop, I wouldn't bother upgrading anything but the RAM at this point. The other components are WAY too much work, for such a low price/benefit ratio.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if it was even worth it. It doesn't seem like it now. I was just trying to see what I could get out of it. Also, it is a laptop.

I was just wondering if it was even worth it. It doesn't seem like it now. I was just trying to see what I could get out of it. Also, it is a laptop.
Yeah really not worth it, in my opinion.
Like I said, the RAM would've been the only thing I would upgrade, if you're keeping it for a while.

So I don't have a boot disk for my compaq because I am switching the hard drive. Would I be able to get the boot disk for free or would I have to pay for it. Also, would you recommend Linux? If so, which version? Linux or windows?

Back
Top Bottom