Memory Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mf01

Beta member
I have 512MB RDRAM with 400mhz FSB, looking to add another 512. My current RAM is Samsung Model MR18R082GBN1-CK8

Will MR16R1628EG0 or MR18R1628EG0-CM8 work with my computer? Each is 184 pin PC800, like my current RAM. Only difference I noticed is the 2 I'm looking at are 40ns while my current is 45ns. Does that matter? Also, one of the two is 16 bit and one is 18 bit. Is there a difference?

The 40ns is better since the lower the access time, the better the speed. The 18-Bit will be better because that is the size of the chunk data is transferred in. Naturally, the higher the chunk the faster the transfer.

Just out of curiosity, is that an old Pentium 4 on Socket 423 (Willamette). RDRAM is really horrible memory. It has high clock speeds, but it has miserable transfer chunks. Transferring data in chunks of 16/18/32 bits is horrible. Most memory transfers are now 64-Bit and 128Bit with dual channel. RDRAM is also very expensive even if it is old. I suggest you sell that memory and add in 1 GB of high speed regular DDR SDRAM since it is better performing than RDRAM and the 1 GB will cost you the exact same price as you pay for 512 MB RDRAM.

RDRAM's price is jacked up so high because it is very difficult to manufacture and manufacturing rights weren't given to many by RAMBUS.

Yes it is Willamette. It's $88 for each each 256 module. I thought my computer required RDRAM only. Would SDRAM work properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom