Overheating?

xRain

Beta member
I have a Hp Elitebook 8440p laptop. I usually play games while im on my laptop. It tends to overheat even with my cooling pad i have. My cooling pad fan i have is a ihome it helps with the heat a little but its kinda of noisy. Is there any cheap cooling pads out there thats efficient and quiet? Is it normal for laptops to get hot?

Just popping in to say: Yes, laptops get hot much faster compared to desktops. It's a bit of a drawback due to their size, but gain mobility.

Hopefully someone else can answer your other questions.

Hello and welcome by the way.

The iHome box fan type coolers are a terrible design. What you want is good airflow underneath, especially since most cooling pads have crappy fans that are usually blowing on the wrong spot. The curved surface coolers like any of the $20 Belkin pads should work fine. I have one for an old HP Pavilion that I never got around to opening up and cleaning out; it overheats and shuts off without the cooling pad. I also like aluminum mesh stands like the Coolermaster Notepals, but those are pricier.

If you've had the laptop for quite some time, it might be time to open it up and clean out all the gunk that has accumulated on the fan and heatsink.

You would probably benefit even more if you bought some thermal compound, opened up the laptop and repasted the CPU and GPU (if it has a dedicated card). Most of the time companies do a bad job at putting thermal compound on, and putting aftermarket compound on can help out quite a bit.

I'm using the Targus AWE81US Chill Mat Plus with my M17x and it's working great for me. One of the best things about it is the 4 USB ports as well as the ability to adjust the height and angle.

Games run smooth, the laptop doesn't overheat, and it's pretty quiet 99% of the time (on the rare occasion you can hear the internal fans kicking it up a bit, but it lasts less than a minute and then you can hear a pin drop)

Last edited:
You would probably benefit even more if you bought some thermal compound, opened up the laptop and repasted the CPU and GPU (if it has a dedicated card). Most of the time companies do a bad job at putting thermal compound on, and putting aftermarket compound on can help out quite a bit.

I'm witrh carnage, It seems HP has made it easy to access your cpu from under your keyboard.

Clean out the fan and repaste is your best option.

I'm witrh carnage, It seems HP has made it easy to access your cpu from under your keyboard.

Clean out the fan and repaste is your best option.

My current MSI probably the most convenient I've ever seen / done. Take out 6 screws, 1 panel. You then have access to both the CPU/GPU right there. Remove the 3 CPU screws, and loosen the 4 GPU spring screws and you can just pop them off. Crazy accessible.

Back
Top Bottom